Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How does teh Navi Software / Visuals compare to Garmin ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
vINCe_Inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does teh Navi Software / Visuals compare to Garmin ?

Garmin by far is the best Navi i have come across. The way they present the maps and information is precise, simple and clean. Just wondering if the Navi for the G compares ?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Garmin 350 and the stock navi in the G. I think the routing functions of the G are better than the Garmin.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Anthony Townsen

I prefer the navi in the G. The Garmin is very good though.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
DoubleParadoxx

I don't navi, but I'm very happy with my Garmin 650.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
drh

I have G37 navigation. My wife has the Nuvi360 in her car. The Nuvi360 interface is much simplier to use - which is exactly what my wife wanted/needed. I believe it's much simplier to set a destination with the Nuvi. However, if you like more flexibility/capability - the G37 navigation is better. The G37 navigation is voice activated - which lets you set destinations while the car is moving. For example, you can say "Destination nearby mexican restaurant" and you'll get a list of nearby mexican restaurants - you can't do that with the Nuvi. Or you can say "Icon ATM" and icons will appear on the map showing nearby ATM machines. Again, can't do that stuff with the Nuvi360. I also like the way the G37 navigation shows approaching turns, freeway exits, etc. The G37 navigation will also show things like available gas stations, restaurants, etc for approaching interstate exits. Pretty powerful stuff - if you want/need it. If all you want is basic navigation - the Nuvi360 is great. If you want all the bells and whistles (and a completely integrated system), the G37 navigation is great. Also, the Nuvi360 is portable - which helped us out great during a recent trip walking all around New York City. The G37 navigation is integrated - which means its there all the time to use. Since so many portable GPS systems get stolen from cars - my wife only pulls it out when she knows she needs to use it. I've been in one or two situations where I needed to quickly look at the map for a quick route around a traffic jam - I'm able to do that with the G37 navi system - wouldn't be able to do that with the Nuvi360 - unless we thought ahead and mounted it on the dash.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:04 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I love the G's Nav and the birdseye view.. It is far superior than any other Nav I have seen even those with the birdsview. I especially like the night view it is rather impressive looking!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 PM
tampa pb

i loved the g's navi until friday night. i knew where i was going, but i always have the navi on to my destination, cuz why not!

well i was on a freeway, and for whatever reason, the navi had me take each exit, and get right back on the freeway, and then take the next exit, and get back on the freeway. anyone else?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Change your route settings to FASTEST not shortest distance. This is usually what causes your Nav to take you off the interstate before you usually would.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Change your route settings to FASTEST not shortest distance. This is usually what causes your Nav to take you off the interstate before you usually would.
i'm pretty sure that it is already set that way, but i'll go out and look right now. brb in 5 mins.. lol

edit: it is set that way. weird.

Last edited by tampa pb; 12-30-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
I love the G's Nav and the birdseye view.. It is far superior than any other Nav I have seen even those with the birdsview. I especially like the night view it is rather impressive looking!
I like the night viewso much i leave it that way all the time. Just turn thr brightness all the way up
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the G Navi and a Garmin Nuvi 680. The thing I miss the most on the G is the lack of POI for destinations. The G's system only has about 5 classes, ATM, Gas, Resturant, Rest area. The Garmin has boat load more POI destinations. Looking for the closest Best Buy, Safeway, Mall ect.. just type it in ... Also the 680 has MSN integration for local movies showing with show times, Gas stations and prices which is kind of handy. Map wise bot the G and the Garmin are about 2 years out of date judging by the lack of mapping for my sub-divisions expansion. The garmin doesn't have voice activation though which is very handy on the G, just have to be sure I have the address before I leave.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
bfranks

Having used the Nuvi 350 for the last year, I was a bit disappointed in the G's Nav System. Compared to other vehicle navigation systems I've used it's by far the best. However compared to some of the standalone units (Garmin, TomTom, etc) its lacking. At first I thought it was just outdated maps since I've had several instances where it's tried to take me down roads that don't exist, or had no information for neighborhoods around me that have been there for 5+ years. However I've also had issues like the one mentioned above where it will tell me to exit the highway and then have me get right back on at the next on ramp. I've also had issues where it will tell me to go past the exit I knew I should take only to have me exit at the next one and make a u-turn. The first time that happened I figured I just missed the turn, but having been burned a few times now I make sure to look at the route info for any destination I enter (turn by turn) and I've seen it throw in several screwy routing choices.

One other complaint is that I can't scroll past the first screen when trying to select POI destinations and such. I understand this is a safety feature, so I really can't fault the system for this.... It just seems odd that they won't allow me to do that when they allow me scroll through 450+ artists on my iPod...thank god for playlists...

I'm adjusting to it, I just hope they fix some of the issues with the next update.