Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Nav crashed today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 PM
flux303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav crashed today...

Brand new G37 6MT with Premium & Nav. Only a week and a half old. Started up the car after filling up at the gas station, hit enter at the ridiculous warning screen, and then after an unusually long pause... nothing. Just the background image and "Climate control off" at the bottom. Nothing worked either--climate, radio, nav, even all the dash ***** were dead.

Stopped and restarted the car. Still nothing. Figured I'd need to take a trip back to the dealer, then five minutes later the system rebooted itself while I was driving home and it's been fine ever since. Called the techs at my dealer's shop and they said they didn't know why this would happen or of any way to hard reset the computer.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know any way to reset the computer if this ever happens again? Yeah, it rebooted on its own, but who knows what might happen next time. I'd hate to be on a long trip and wind up without nav, radio, or climate control thanks to my car's computer freaking out.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:20 PM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts: Just because it happened once doesn't mean it will happen again. Obviously the dealer won't be able to fix anything at this point. Just cross your fingers and hope it never happens again, maybe the problem fixed itself...
Haven't heard/read of any others having this problem.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:41 PM
flux303

Of course, but you never know...

Dealer's going to look at it anyway in the next week or two. Maybe they can pull some logs from the computer and see what happened. If I get any insight on what happened, I'll follow up with the info.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:54 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This has been posted before.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...ght=navigation

Don't worry, it is a computer...sometimes they crash. Start worrying when the Nav doesn't come back or if it does it continuously.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 PM
hopgo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did have a similar problem....only once and it has never happened again...stray electrons??
Old 12-25-2007, 01:33 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

Probably a combination of strange things happened that caused a crash. Crashing (the computer type) can be a safety mechanism on some systems.

Think database servers and memory problems, for example. If the data is suspect because of a memory issue, a system halt is better than possible DB corruption.

I haven't had a problem with mine. The dealer isn't an application developer, so please don't expect too much from them. If it is occurring frequently, or it's easily repeatable, you should definitely let them know so they can get the info upstream to Infiniti.

Remember, the best the dealer will be able to do is install it fresh, or do a hardware replacement.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 PM
drbru

I had almost the same thing happen yesterday. I started the car but the media center seemed "frozen?" It acutally showed the time in the upper right corner but... no phone use, radio, sat, music box/cd, or navigation was accessible... even with the buttons I couldnt get the radio to play. THen 10 minutes went buy and it seemed to reboot.

Im concerned this might be an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2007, 03:12 PM
wcirksena

Happened to me once right after I started the car. Drove the car for 10 minutes and it restarted and has worked fine ever since.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
drbru

Well it happenned AGAIN! Its the third time in 2 weeks. I called the dealer and they said it has happened on the M series numerous times. They believe its a "Navigation Control Unit" They also have to order them and it may take a little while.

Suffice it to say its a little disturbing when you turn on your car and no dials, buttons, touch scrren, phone, radio or climate control work.

So in the first 6 weeks of service my car needs warranty work and some expensive work it seems to be.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't a had a problem with the Nav. I do hate that disclaimer screen though.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM
rrrevin

Happened to me a few days ago. The system was stuck on XM and nothing worked. Tried the Microsoft fix (basically reboot the system by stopping and restarting the engine) and it did not fix it. After about 5 mins, ,the system reset itself while I was driving. Looks like there might be a 5 minute system heartbeat check that does an autorestart after the main system looses is conneciton to the NAV.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by drbru
Well it happenned AGAIN! Its the third time in 2 weeks. I called the dealer and they said it has happened on the M series numerous times. They believe its a "Navigation Control Unit" They also have to order them and it may take a little while.

Suffice it to say its a little disturbing when you turn on your car and no dials, buttons, touch scrren, phone, radio or climate control work.

So in the first 6 weeks of service my car needs warranty work and some expensive work it seems to be.
Mine just did this for the first time today.. I'm hoping it won't do it anymore! I think after the third time in two weeks you had better have it check out. Unfortunately, I doubt they will find anything 'wrong' so I don't think they will be able to do anything. Let us know how it goes or what they replaced.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 AM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by Callaway
Haven't a had a problem with the Nav. I do hate that disclaimer screen though.
i dont want to thread jack, but if someone knows how to bypass that thing so i dont have to hit the OK button every time, start a new thread pls. - if not, pls ignore this.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^It is a legal thing. Unless you can hack the Nav/Infiniti software to bypass that warning, I doubt you will get around this. All Nav systems have this that I have ever seen so people can't sue them because the Nav didn't worn them to keep their eye on the road....You have to "love" the American legal system.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Check out kptechnologies.com for mod that clicks the nav warning for you. Lets stay away from mentioning anything else about the Nav disclaimer..

Quick Reply: Nav crashed today...