Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Do you leave the iPod plugged in after you turn off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:32 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gotmyg
Actually mine does not turn off. I have an Ipod nano. (not the newest wide one, but the one before the newest one. mine is the tall skinny one.) Anyway, I've noticed on many occasions that if I leave it plugged in at night and come back in the morning, the Ipod will still be on and the battery will be like 1/4 empty. Also the following has happened as well. I come to a stop, turn the car off... disconnect the ipod without touching any of the buttons. the ipod will stay on forever, unless you un-pause it and then pause it again. Then the ipod will turn off after like 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if i'm the only one whos is having this problem. I posted on g35 driver and it seemed like no one else was having the problem or maybe no one is noticing it since they just get in the car and drive away. I would suggest some of you test this out.
Before my ipod never had the problem, but yesterday when I went to the driving range I grabbed my ipod out of the console and it was dead. Anyone find a solution for this yet?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gmlee86
Before my ipod never had the problem, but yesterday when I went to the driving range I grabbed my ipod out of the console and it was dead. Anyone find a solution for this yet?

Your iPod's battery is probably dead. Give it a full charge.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Yeah that was the problem, but the only reason why it was dead was because it never turned off by itself like it was supposed to when the car turned off, since it was at a full charge the last time I went to the range. Stupid tekmology.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gmlee86
Yeah that was the problem, but the only reason why it was dead was because it never turned off by itself like it was supposed to when the car turned off, since it was at a full charge the last time I went to the range. Stupid tekmology.
I know my IPod doesn't turn off for a couple minutes when my car goes off. There is a setting in the IPod for how long to wait until it goes into sleep mode. You might want to check this because you might be able to disable the timeout so it won't turn off and that might have happened. Not sure if that is an option since I haven't messed with this setting. I would check that though.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Chosen37

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You know this has happened to me once. Well, the only time I actually checked anyways. The Ipod is always fully charged before everytime I take it out to put more songs in. Then one time as I was bringing it into work from the car, it was dead. Happened twice.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 AM
beestea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the newest Gen IPOD Classic 80GB, and I leave it in my car all the time. On one occasion I had issues where the car couldn't detect it (like the cable was unplugged) but after a few minutes it was detected (as if maybe the battery was dead initially?)

Anyhow I read that the IPODs aren't powering down all the time and am a little worried about that.

I know there is a voice command (at least on my Aug Build G37 with the expanded voice command set) "IPOD off" but I am not sure it really cuts the IPOD off.

It seems like if you change sources to Sat or CD or Radio that it puts the IPOD on pause. I would assume that if the IPOD is on pause long enough that it will turn off. If not we should bitch at apple about a fix.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
UNV-IT46

my ipod nano also never turns off.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 PM
RedHerring

Yet another issue. I hope all this draining to zero doesn't bork our ipod batteries. I am pretty sure it will though.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I know my IPod doesn't turn off for a couple minutes when my car goes off. There is a setting in the IPod for how long to wait until it goes into sleep mode. You might want to check this because you might be able to disable the timeout so it won't turn off and that might have happened. Not sure if that is an option since I haven't messed with this setting. I would check that though.
I was mistaken in this post I made. At least on my IPod classic, there is no setting that can be changed to adjust the sleep time but I think I remember in my IPod document that it goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes. I did find an option to put the IPod into sleep mode by a hidden "Main Menu" button that you can make visible. Not sure if this can help the rest of you that are having issues with your batteries draining. It is an extra step you have to take before leaving the car but you would have power in the battery again.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gotmyg
Actually mine does not turn off. I have an Ipod nano. (not the newest wide one, but the one before the newest one. mine is the tall skinny one.) Anyway, I've noticed on many occasions that if I leave it plugged in at night and come back in the morning, the Ipod will still be on and the battery will be like 1/4 empty. Also the following has happened as well. I come to a stop, turn the car off... disconnect the ipod without touching any of the buttons. the ipod will stay on forever, unless you un-pause it and then pause it again. Then the ipod will turn off after like 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if i'm the only one whos is having this problem. I posted on g35 driver and it seemed like no one else was having the problem or maybe no one is noticing it since they just get in the car and drive away. I would suggest some of you test this out.
I have a 5th gen video 30 gig. Sometimes it powers off and sometimes it doesn't. I was wondering if it makes any difference in how you shut down.....like turn off audio before shutting whole car down. Or changing to radio. Or shutting car down while Ipod playing.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Experiment.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Infinite G37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just have an old crappy 4G iPod I use in the car, who cares about the battery, just using it for the hard drive

Last edited by Infinite G37S; 04-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Graham
Premier Member

FYI, the ipod doesn't charge when the car is off, so if your like me, work 8-5 not using the car, drive 30 min home from work, turn around and go to the gym, your Ipod has no charge.