Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Factory Alarm and Security

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
BigJohnson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Alarm and Security

Does anyone have an opinion regarding installing an aftermarket alarm on the G37S?

Aside from having it lock your doors for you when you start to drive, I'm not entirely convinced its necessary. Are the stock alarm and security features more than adequate?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
DoubleParadoxx

I want to add glass break and shock sensors for my aftermarket audio, so I'll be putting in an aftermarket alarm myself.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 AM
smoothieboy
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ i was thinking the same thing like you, but if a determined thief wants something in your car...it would be too late (unless you're close to the car) and it's just a waste of money imo for those sensors
Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM
DoubleParadoxx

Once at work 6 cars in a row were broken into with mine in the middle. Mine was the only one not broken into. My blue led and Viper stickers must have kept them off. I don't see any other explanation.

Remote start plus that experience makes the cost of an aftermarket worth it for me. Now if only my installers would research how to get the thing installed!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
KPierson
Banned

The OEM system has a fairly major security flaw that renders it pretty much useless as a security system.

It has no sensors on it at all, meaning it will only go off with OPENING a door. Breaking a window won't set it off.

You can fix the security flaw pretty easily, and you can add sensors on to the OEM system if you know what you are doing. I don't think an aftermarket system is totally necesarry, but I wouldn't rely on the OEM system keeping you car safe in a high crime area.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 PM
G37RacerX

Originally Posted by DoubleParadoxx
Once at work 6 cars in a row were broken into with mine in the middle. Mine was the only one not broken into. My blue led and Viper stickers must have kept them off. I don't see any other explanation.

Remote start plus that experience makes the cost of an aftermarket worth it for me. Now if only my installers would research how to get the thing installed!
I'd tell them to get the blue led and Viper stickers installed first!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
The OEM system has a fairly major security flaw that renders it pretty much useless as a security system.

It has no sensors on it at all, meaning it will only go off with OPENING a door. Breaking a window won't set it off.

You can fix the security flaw pretty easily, and you can add sensors on to the OEM system if you know what you are doing. I don't think an aftermarket system is totally necesarry, but I wouldn't rely on the OEM system keeping you car safe in a high crime area.
I wouldn't call this a flaw. The only security feature the car is supposed to come with is the intelligent key so that no one can start your car without it. Most dealerships don't offer shock sensors anyway unless you get an upgrade...the only factory security that's usually offered is just to protect your car from being started by an intruder.

Can someone verify whether or not our cars have a dormant security system that can be activated through a dealership option?

My finance manager at Infiniti told me that if I bought it, some person would come to my house and "close a loop" for a circuit that activates ignition kill, shock sensors, etc..

I did purchase it, but I haven't had it installed yet. She said I could go in any time and cancel it for my money back. But it does also come with a $20K guarantee if the car were to ever get stolen and deemed a total loss within 5 years of purchase with the security system installed, then they will pay up to 20k on top of whatever insurance provides.

Last edited by chasemyaccord; 01-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I wouldn't call this a flaw. The only security feature the car is supposed to come with is the intelligent key so that no one can start your car without it. Most dealerships don't offer shock sensors anyway unless you get an upgrade...the only factory security that's usually offered is just to protect your car from being started by an intruder.

Can someone verify whether or not our cars have a dormant security system that can be activated through a dealership option?

My finance manager at Infiniti told me that if I bought it, some person would come to my house and "close a loop" for a circuit that activates ignition kill, shock sensors, etc..

I did purchase it, but I haven't had it installed yet. She said I could go in any time and cancel it for my money back. But it does also come with a $20K guarantee if the car were to ever get stolen and deemed a total loss within 5 years of purchase with the security system installed, then they will pay up to 20k on top of whatever insurance provides.
These cars do come with a basic security system that sounds the horn and flashes the light if someone opens the door while the system is armed. However, you can disarm the alarm rather easily, with minimal damage, from the outside of the car with a screwdriver. This was the flaw I was referring to. My first and second paragraphs were completly seperate thoughts, and were only related in the fact they are both security related - the 2nd paragraph is NOT building on the first paragraph.

Most OEMs don't include external sensors because 1. they arn't in the security market and 2. they don't want to inconvenience their customers with false alarms.

It's the same principle as the OEM keyfob range. Sure, they could make it work 500 ft. away but that would involve using a higher powered transmitter, which, in turn, would eat up batteries quicker, causing an inconvenience to the customer.

I've never heard of "closing a loop" to enable anything. If anything, the dealerships usually offer an add on alarm for a high price that works with the OEM remotes. I would definately read the fine print though about his claim. It sounds very similar to a tire warranty I purchased with a car a few years back. When I needed to replace a tire that had blown I found that the warranty wouldn't cover it because the tire had signs of an "uneven wear pattern". So, if at any point in the life of the tire it is underinflated, overinflated, or out of alignment the "warranty" would be void. I immediately complained to the dealership and they actually refunded the tire "warranty" in full. I now make it a practice to read the fine print of ANY addional "service" dealerships offer.

Last edited by KPierson; 01-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

Here is more info on the flaw: http://www.g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136819
Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
chasemyaccord

Yeah the way I read it, I thought you were implying that shock sensors should come with factory security. My mistake.

The finance manager said "if your car gets stolen, there's a $20K guarantee." What I read in the fine print later was "if your car gets stolen and it is deemed a total loss, we may cover up to $20K." I plan on going into the dealership and getting this taken off my contract. At least it'll save me a good $25 a month on my car payment. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
GiGGaplease

the factory alarm system freaking sucks! hopefully my dad hurries up and get that garage door install.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
IP37

i'll probably have DEI's shock / tilt sensors added to the factory system
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
leeladisky

Originally Posted by IP37

DEI? Link? info?

Thanks,

LL
Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by IP37
Yeah, some info would be great. I want something that will integrate with the factory system. On my last car, I had two remotes, which was kind of annoying. I kept the factory fob to pop the trunk since I was too lazy to get the trunk button programmed.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 AM
spyderbret

Originally Posted by KPierson
Or you could do this:

Security flaw addressed...

Worked for me.....

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm and Security