Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

To all you g37 experts out there...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
thexfactor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all you g37 experts out there...

I have about 900 different artists on my Ipod. It seems as if I have to scroll down 1 by 1 (or 4 by 4 by pressing the the "down" button on the screen) to advance to the artists at the end.

Example - Let's say I want to listen to a song by "Stevie Wonder." The only way I know how to get there is keep pressing the "down" button over 200 times to get to the artists that start with "S."

Someone please tell me there is an easier way. The method above seems so inadequate.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an easier way, but there may be a workaround.

(I havent tried this yet, so keep that in mind)
I saw someone suggest this on another G board: In itunes, arrange your artists in alphabetical order, and then highlight all the A's, and set the genre to "A", then go highlight all the B's, and set the genre to "B". And so on.

That way you just list them by genre and instead of 900 artists, you just pick one of the 26 letters.

Again, havent verified any of this myself, but I think I will give it a try this weekend. If anyone can try it sooner, let us know.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 AM
GiGGaplease

do not have that many artists on there? you wont be able to listen to all of them. the only way i think is you just have to scroll down until you get to the artist you want to hear.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
thexfactor

Originally Posted by Gyoza
Not an easier way, but there may be a workaround.

(I havent tried this yet, so keep that in mind)
I saw someone suggest this on another G board: In itunes, arrange your artists in alphabetical order, and then highlight all the A's, and set the genre to "A", then go highlight all the B's, and set the genre to "B". And so on.

That way you just list them by genre and instead of 900 artists, you just pick one of the 26 letters.

Again, havent verified any of this myself, but I think I will give it a try this weekend. If anyone can try it sooner, let us know.
Very good idea. I am in the processing of making 26 smart playlists starting with each letter as we speak. I will be able test it tonight after work.

Not a solution, but definitely a good workaround.

Thanks!

EDIT: And one other smart playlist that includes artists that start with a #. I now have 27 smart playlists. Keep you posted.

Last edited by thexfactor; 12-11-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
thexfactor

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
do not have that many artists on there? you wont be able to listen to all of them. the only way i think is you just have to scroll down until you get to the artist you want to hear.
Gee, thanks.

I mean, why even bother?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Gyoza

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Gee, thanks.

I mean, why even bother?
lol.

Yeah, playlists are the other way to go. Let us know what you find. What a dumb thing for Infiniti to leave out.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
DoubleParadoxx

I prefer to just use the iPod with the RCA jacks. Much better control. (The fact that I don't have the Infiniti iPod cord may affect my preference here) .
Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DoubleParadoxx
I prefer to just use the iPod with the RCA jacks. Much better control. (The fact that I don't have the Infiniti iPod cord may affect my preference here) .
Exactly. I said the same thing here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...13#post2244713

It is a pain in the *** to use Infiniti's cable.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
thexfactor

Originally Posted by likwidfuzion
Exactly. I said the same thing here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...13#post2244713

It is a pain in the *** to use Infiniti's cable.
What do you guys do with the ipod? Leave it in the arm rest? If so, you have to take out the ipod each time you want to change the song? yikes...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
thexfactor

Originally Posted by DoubleParadoxx
You should definitely try it with the infiniti cord, its pretty amazing, despite the shortcoming were discussing...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
any one out the tell me if the touch will fit in the arm rest?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
bostonmerlin

I'm the one who came up with the 'create a genre for each artist' a few months back. Smart playlists wont work as you might expect as they'll lump ALL A albums together showing just the songs in one big a$$ list so genre is the only way to go.. and yes it works quite well.

good luck
john
Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Gyoza

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
I'm the one who came up with the 'create a genre for each artist' a few months back. Smart playlists wont work as you might expect as they'll lump ALL A albums together showing just the songs in one big a$$ list so genre is the only way to go.. and yes it works quite well.

good luck
john
Yup, I remembered your avatar but not your name.

I will give it a try this weekend.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
DoubleParadoxx

You should definitely try it with the infiniti cord, its pretty amazing, despite the shortcoming were discussing...
Don't have the package.

What do you guys do with the ipod? Leave it in the arm rest? If so, you have to take out the ipod each time you want to change the song? yikes...
I sit it on my right leg or hand it to a passenger to play DJ.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 6MT, so I just leave my iPhone on top of the cup holder "sliding lid" since I don't use those cup holders at all (I use the one on the door for bottled water). And believe me, changing songs with the iPhone/iPod Touch is MUCH easier than using Infiniti's cable. All the control I want with a flick of the finger.

P.S. At least for the 6MT, there's a little hole on the left side of the armrest that allows you to leave the cable out with the armrest down.

Quick Reply: To all you g37 experts out there...