Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

amp placement and hook up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM
bennero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp placement and hook up

I hope someone can help me out and that this question has not been answered before.
I want to see if anyone has hooked up a sub amp to their system that has the premium package. I don't want to use a low level in line converter. My old altima had the bose system and had an hook up on the bose amp for a sub. Does our car have anything like that?

Also I was reading about the 4080 sub box, will that take any sub? I have 2 JL 10 inch and a jl 500/1 amp to power.

Thanks in advance guys!

Rob
Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 PM
hopgo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat..........the installers I have talked to so far suggest the Hi / Low, low level connection............I understand it is not as pure as a pre-out setup but do you think it will make that much of a difference?? I believe that is how they hooked up my Acura and it sounds fine. I am considering 1 10" JL6W with the JL 500-1 amp....and the Zenclosure box....
Old 11-22-2007, 03:44 AM
RobyG78

As far as the factory amp goes I have not looked at it yet. I am planing to install a sub and amp setup to my car soon and was planning to use the JL Ceansweep As my pre amp out put. There are a few others like Alpine Rockford and MTX who make something similar. You have a good selection these days besides just the inline wire to RCA converters of the old days. Most of these clean up and remake the sound they get from the Factory headunit. This really only applies though if you are

1. Adding mid and high speakers and Amps as well.
2. Planning to add them in the future and planing before hand for this.
3. Adding other things to a factory system like XM Radio, Video, IPod, ext, ext

Other wise most car stereo installers are going to tell you that it is not worth spending $200 and up on one of those. With Amps and subs theses days just a high / low converter for $20 will get you good sounding bass and is most cost effective. I hope this helps you out just remember one Mono Sub Amp and one or two subs you should just save your money and stick with the high/low.

Roby
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 AM
hopgo

Thanks for the info........it was very helpful.... at this point I think I am just adding a 10" JL6W sub with the JL 500/1 amp so the inline converter should be sufficient, but if I do decide to add other amps / speakers I will consider the cleansweep setup........Thanks again,,,,great post!!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:25 PM
707coupe

i used a convertor for my 500/1 and hear no diffrence its all bass reproduction so its not gonna make a diffrence. but if u do the whole system then do the clean sweep cuz it allows u to tweak the settings and clean the system up just a lil bit more
Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
hopgo

707 : When you say it doesn't make a difference do you mean using a line converter is OK or do you mean it doesn't make a difference in the bass from the stock system?? I took it to mean that if you are adding just a sub then the line converter is fine and the cleansweep would be necessary for a complete system change.........thanks fot the help............
Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Read this:

http://www.me-mag.com/installerCentr...dy.cfm?nid=787
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
hopgo

Thanks for the help....I guess the bottom line is that for just a sub a low level converter via the existing speaker wire is fine but to add other amps / speakers consider something like JL cleansweep or the DQL model. Is that right??
Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct. Do not break the bank on an expensive processor when a simple (but good one, please) line converter will do. If you get a cheap line converter you may get humming noise as if you had a bee hive in your trunk.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
bennero

Sorry about the late response on this. Thanks for the info sounds like a low level converter will do just fine. I was worried about getting a dirty signal but it sounds like a good one will do just fine. I'm not sure about changing all on the speakers the bose system sounds pretty good stock, I'm really just looking for some Moe low end. I might go to route of only one 10inch sub the trunk is pretty tiny lol. Anyways thanks for the help!