Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

All about the Compact Flash Slot

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
bfranks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itunes music is actually m4p (protected format) not mp4, which I'm guessing is why your purchased software didn't work. I use SoundTaxi to remove the DRM from Itunes songs (among others). It's not freeware, but to me the $25 was worth getting something that worked quickly and on all the formats I needed it to.

http://www.soundtaxi.info/
Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
After hours of trying various freeware and free trial software, I finally found a software that works with changing M4P files to Mp3s (or any format that you want to use for that matter)
It is called Noteburner. It is a virtual burn drive. It virtually burns a CD and then encodes the songs to whatever format you command and whatever bit rate you select.

I tried everything suggested here and some of it worked for some songs and not others etc... But NoteBurner is by far the best one that I found. So I paid the $34.00 for it and am finally able to accomplish my decade long mission to convert protected legally purchased music to Mp3 format! YAAAAAAYYY! LOL
: JAMINJAMINJAMINJAMINJAMIN:
:thew avebiggthumpupbiggthumpupbiggthumpupD
DOMODOMODOMODOMODOMODOMO
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
bfranks

Glad it worked for you. I had tried Noteburner 6-8 months ago and had issues with it. It sounds like they updated it, so I might have to try it again. Have you used it with anything besides Itunes music?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Not yet. But I plan to try it on some of my already downloaded music that is in various formats. I will post results when I do it.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Britelite

I have the same issue, it sucks. i really don't want to delete and start all over...Help!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
calvin_hobbes

DODGE offers a way better music box!!!!!
Ford now offers way better.

Sadly i am shying away from infiniti now
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
mphouston

I agree that the music box could be better, but I would not base my car decision on it. I would have rather not have it, but I could not get Navi without it...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by bfranks
Itunes music is actually m4p (protected format) not mp4, which I'm guessing is why your purchased software didn't work. I use SoundTaxi to remove the DRM from Itunes songs (among others). It's not freeware, but to me the $25 was worth getting something that worked quickly and on all the formats I needed it to.

http://www.soundtaxi.info/
Soundtaxi is great for removing DRM, I think it is like $15 for the base one, the best $15 I have ever spent as far as music is concerned
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
w0ady

i dont think i would consider buying a car based on the music functions. i enjoy it for that whole "driving" part lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
DODGE offers a way better music box!!!!!
Ford now offers way better.

Sadly i am shying away from infiniti now
go ahead, buy a dodge. you'll REALLY be happy with it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 PM
tboudre

I had a 16G SD card in an SD to CF adapter, it recognized the card, but didn't read/access all the songs. So, I had a 6G MicroSD in the same CF adapter (with MicroSD to SD adapter), and finally investigating why I don't see all the songs, and it seems somewhat random, but I have to agree it sees about 2G. Glad I didn't go and buy a 32G CF, what would I do with that if I couldn't use it in the car???

Furthermore, the Navi is garbage, too. It all sounds so cool when you're buying it, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the stripped down 37S (still debating 6-speed manual), and go aftermarket on GPS & stereo. Although I don't know where to start looking for the top notch system, but I've heard that aftermarket is much better than factory.

Last edited by tboudre; 10-12-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: postscript.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tboudre
I had a 16G SD card in an SD to CF adapter, it recognized the card, but didn't read/access all the songs. So, I had a 6G MicroSD in the same CF adapter (with MicroSD to SD adapter), and finally investigating why I don't see all the songs, and it seems somewhat random, but I have to agree it sees about 2G. Glad I didn't go and buy a 32G CF, what would I do with that if I couldn't use it in the car???

Furthermore, the Navi is garbage, too. It all sounds so cool when you're buying it, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the stripped down 37S (still debating 6-speed manual), and go aftermarket on GPS & stereo. Although I don't know where to start looking for the top notch system, but I've heard that aftermarket is much better than factory.
The reason for the limit on the space addressable is due directly to the file format being used. Any format in a car MUST work ALL the time to limit downtime and patching. Also remember that a car you see on the road today was designed about 3-5yrs before hitting the dealer. The CF slot is necessary to get data onto the cars system. Its really a bonus that you're allowed to play music from it.

As to the GPS and the tech interface believe me when I say it - IT IS THE BEST of whats out there right now. Bar none for any integrated system. I was recently car shopping with my boy and he settled on an A5 and thats an '10 and the interface looks better than my '08 but its not easier to use in anyway shape or form. Heck my brothers 08 FX is easier than the audi's and thats from the first interface that came out in 03. I've been ale to use the iDrive system and MB Command systems extensivly as well and they all suck.

The advantage of a portable system is also its ability to rapidly change and be updated each year as they are more or less disposable and are more or less a one trick pony -navi with a few extras. The navi on your car interacts with all the vital functions and MUST work without crashing and updates. Its like at work we have systems that have 0 gui but will never be replaced because they work without crashing. The newer flashier windows boxes are easier to use but they crash so while they maybe good for 99.9% of the things we do my company will spend millions on a system that ensures that 0.1% of uptime. So in effect you're paying for that development cost.

As to the audio 100% agree. Spending $1200-$1500 aftermarket will sound infinitly better but its the cost you pay to keep the cost very low in these cars. And after hearing the B&W in the Audi's which is $850 extra I don't feel so short changed as I did before - its as least as good as ours not much if better but cost more as a seperate option (depending on package level).
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
TheCutter

Personally, I find that the ipod interface is so good, that I never feel the need to use musicbox or cd's. I purchased a separate ipod classic for the G, and I now have 8500 songs in 256kbps quality. Easy.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCutter
Personally, I find that the ipod interface is so good, that I never feel the need to use musicbox or cd's. I purchased a separate ipod classic for the G, and I now have 8500 songs in 256kbps quality. Easy.
Our ipod interface is also very good compared to what's out there currently as well. From what I've heard Ford's sync is very best by a lot but we're pretty good. The obivious improvement would be the ability to scroll faster/better, maybe a search feature?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TopTech
go ahead, buy a dodge. you'll REALLY be happy with it.
I have a Dodge and I'm pretty happy with it. The windshield doesn't make a popping noise, the exhaust doesn't have an annoying rattle on startup, and the leather on the seats doesn't bubble up...

I like the music box for what it is but have since moved on to the flash drive. I always play all the songs in random so I'm set up pretty good. If I were to take the time, I'd have three different flash cards with three different types of music and then I'd be able to throw in whatever I was in the mood for.

Quick Reply: All about the Compact Flash Slot