Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

All about the Compact Flash Slot

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I get my music from buy.com, and WalMart music online is also good (don't laugh they have a good selection). I listen to such a wide variety that I don't like buying whole CDs anymore. I like those sites because you can buy one song at a time without paying for a subscription service.
I just started using a CF. I have only put music from old CDs on it thus far however. They all work fine in MP3 mode

The only one's that I have had the problems with are the ones that I have downloaded. If I put them in "regular CD" format they will play, but if I change them to MP3 they wil not play on my car. But they will play in WMP.

It appears that it could be WMP that is the culprit. I am definitely going to buy and try Nero now and also perhaps try i-tunes.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 PM
mranderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this link http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/ says that you can update missing titles following the 3 simple steps. Only problem is that when you get to the 4th instruction of Step 1 "Select Search Missing Titles", that option is greyed out... unavailable.... anyone else seeing this as well? Any workaround?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mranderson
So this link http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/ says that you can update missing titles following the 3 simple steps. Only problem is that when you get to the 4th instruction of Step 1 "Select Search Missing Titles", that option is greyed out... unavailable.... anyone else seeing this as well? Any workaround?
It means that you have no songs/albums saved in your car's MusicBox that have no titles. It doesn't update the database but saves the title info you download from the database online.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 PM
mranderson

Originally Posted by bboysteele
It means that you have no songs/albums saved in your car's MusicBox that have no titles. It doesn't update the database but saves the title info you download from the database online.
If that were the case, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. I have loaded a couple of CD's to the music box that have no title/artist/album information and the option to "search missing titles" remains greyed out.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

If that were the case, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. I have loaded a couple of CD's to the music box that have no title/artist/album information and the option to "search missing titles" remains greyed out.
Do you have the parking brake on or the car in parking postion when you try to do the update?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
mranderson

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Do you have the parking brake on or the car in parking postion when you try to do the update?
Seeing as how the Aux Input to display video on the monitor is tied to the parking break, that seemed worth a try. Unfortunately, it makes no difference.

So far I have tried it with a 256MB CF, a 4GB CF, tried it with the brake on/off, engine on/off, door open/closed.

I had a thought that perhaps the source CD had to be in the CD player in order to read the serial number of the disc, but that made no difference either. Totally stumped on this one.

Anyone have success making this work?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I even tried creating an "export.dat" file on the CF card to see if THAT might open up the option. FRUSTRATING!!!!

Last edited by mranderson; 01-19-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Seeing as how the Aux Input to display video on the monitor is tied to the parking break, that seemed worth a try. Unfortunately, it makes no difference.

So far I have tried it with a 256MB CF, a 4GB CF, tried it with the brake on/off, engine on/off, door open/closed.

I had a thought that perhaps the source CD had to be in the CD player in order to read the serial number of the disc, but that made no difference either. Totally stumped on this one.

Anyone have success making this work?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I even tried creating an "export.dat" file on the CF card to see if THAT might open up the option. FRUSTRATING!!!!
I will see if I can look at this today. Just not sure if I have a cd that won't show up though that I haven't put on the MusicBox yet. I remember having the same issue before but it was a couple months back. I think my problem was due to the brake not being on when I tried to do it but you already tried that.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 PM
mranderson

So I completely removed the albums with no titles from the internal HDD, and started over, this time, going through the process of exporting missing titles immediately after each disc was recorded to the drive. It worked, but the downside is you're doing one CD at a time that way and the back and forth to the PC. Weird design.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
iko

Almost every disc I own has been backed up using EAC. When I burn the backups I write CD-Text to the discs. The MusicBox has been picking up these titles without any problems, including the myriad of live recordings that have no Gracenote entries.

As far as the CF slot is concerned I've been finding it good for limited uses. Typically, I'll create "mix tapes" and set the slot to shuffle mode. Or, I'll dump a set of concerts to the card.

It would be nice if the CF reader in the G read playlists. That's one thing the bimmer's USB capability has. You can just plug in any old thumbdrive and go to town.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

So I completely removed the albums with no titles from the internal HDD, and started over, this time, going through the process of exporting missing titles immediately after each disc was recorded to the drive. It worked, but the downside is you're doing one CD at a time that way and the back and forth to the PC. Weird design.
You might want to try it with two cds and see if it works then. I remember having 2 or 3 cds on my system before doing the update (at least I am pretty sure it was 2 or 3).
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
KAHBOOM

OK so I am back- new problem. I am using i-tunes and it downloads everything in MPEG4. How do you convert MPEG4 audio files to MP3. I bought software that is supposed to do it and it failed. grrrrr. So I can make a CD in regular audio format but I cant convert the MPEG4 to MP3.

I have literally tried for years to establish a setup so that I can just play my damn music that I legally bought and downloaded in an compressed format that will play on my cd player. I am tired of using whole CDs for only 14 or 15 songs.

sorry for the rant it is just frustrating. I was up late trying to figure out this stuff and downloading crappy freeware (SUPER) and then when I actually pay for something that is supposed to work (Xilisoft)it doesn't. It's only a computer right? I consider myself moderately savy. We should be able to make it do what we want it to do.... rant over...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
berzerko

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry if you've done this already, but have you tried the steps described here? The comments have possible workarounds for protected files and some poeple have posted other possible conversion procedures and software. I saw a couple of potentially workable solutions there, like this site and this program, which has a 14 day free trial.

Good luck.

Tony
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
KAHBOOM

I haven't tried this but I will tonight. Thanks Tony.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
flux303

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
OK so I am back- new problem. I am using i-tunes and it downloads everything in MPEG4. How do you convert MPEG4 audio files to MP3. I bought software that is supposed to do it and it failed. grrrrr. So I can make a CD in regular audio format but I cant convert the MPEG4 to MP3.
You should check out dbPoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm). It's hands-down the best format converter I've found. I make a lot of my living in the music biz, and shuffling stuff from AAC to WAV to FLAC to AIFF to WMA etc. goes with the territory... dbPoweramp handles it all. Download the trial and see if it works for you.

Last edited by flux303; 01-25-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:28 PM
KAHBOOM

Thanks flux. I'll try that as well.

Quick Reply: All about the Compact Flash Slot