Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

All about the Compact Flash Slot

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
PainProphet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedHerring
PainProphet, the RIAA would like to speak to you....
ahh, the RIAA, hey how come those four letters didn't come up during the definition of douche and/or douche bag???

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
mphouston

Originally Posted by ohseedee
When you burn your mixed CDs make sure you burn them with CD-Text. So the track titles are actually stored on the disk.

I'm currently in the (slow) process of burning all my favorite songs in itunes to re-writable CDs then ripping them in Music Box. The only downside is that only the Artist and Track names will be stored correctly. The Album name will be stored as the name of your mixed CD. For example I burn all my tracks with the CD name of "My Top Songs." So, every track has the correct track name/Artist Name and "My Top Songs" as the Album name.
Thanks. That helps a lot. Now I run into the issue of a CD name of 'Purchased'. No sign of the artist. I will give folders a try when burning from the Itunes play list.

The CF was so much simpler, but I have about 600 songs now...

Update: In the Music Box, the artist shows up fine.

Last edited by mphouston; 12-10-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added note on MB Artist.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mphouston
Thanks. That helps a lot. Now I run into the issue of a CD name of 'Purchased'. No sign of the artist. I will give folders a try when burning from the Itunes play list.

The CF was so much simpler, but I have about 600 songs now...

Update: In the Music Box, the artist shows up fine.
Has anyone tried using a larger CF card and putting more than 512 songs on it but in a couple folders. I know the CF reader on the car can only read 512 files but if you split up say 1000 songs between two folders would that work? Someone should try this if it hasn't been done already to see if it works.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so lemme get this straight - is gettin a CF card bigger than 2.0 GB a waste (considering I only plan on using the CF card in the G)??

I havent seen the clear answer to this because I am hearing that the car can only index about 512 songs or up to 2 GB whichever comes first but does that mean that a 4GB will still work but will only read up to that amount Alphabetically or something or what?? I want to know cause Im going to Best Buy to get a CF card sometime soon....

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
so lemme get this straight - is gettin a CF card bigger than 2.0 GB a waste (considering I only plan on using the CF card in the G)??

I havent seen the clear answer to this because I am hearing that the car can only index about 512 songs or up to 2 GB whichever comes first but does that mean that a 4GB will still work but will only read up to that amount Alphabetically or something or what?? I want to know cause Im going to Best Buy to get a CF card sometime soon....

Thanks!
Yep, you understand correctly. 4GB cards will work but will only recognize the first 512 songs. Some people have combined an entire CD into one MP3 so that would be where getting a large size CF card would come in handy.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
PainProphet

Actually, I think if you were looking for the sweet spot for the size CF card to get, I would get a 4gb... I have an 8gb CF card and when it gets close to the 512 files mark, its usually a little under 4gb of total space...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garnet Canuck & PainProphet - many thanks to you. Now I understand perfectly, you cleared up the confusion. Actually since it reads the first 512 files regardless of size I think PainProphet is on the dot with the fact that 4GB is a sweet spot. My typical MP3's range from 5-7 MB so that range multiplied by 512 songs comes right up to btwn 3 and 4 GB. Most of my tracks are 192 KBPS and many are 256 and 320...Now it reads the first 512 songs even if those 512 songs obviously surpass 2GB correct? Because 512 of my songs will bring me to approx 3.5GB, hence a 4GB card would be brilliant.

The Mp3 player software in the G does not have issues with 128-320 KBPS correct? 95% of Mp3s fall within there. Also Constant vs variable bitrate is not an issue correct? Or longer filenames? Also if my laptop only has an SD card reader does that mean I need some type of CF to USB adapter for file transfer? Please let me know.

I am on the boat with Garnet Canuck in the sense that I do not want to invest in an iPod and just want to casually refresh the collection I have on my CF card from time to time - even if it's just intermittently taking out 10 songs to put in 100 other ones, etc....
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
PainProphet

Garnet Canuck & PainProphet - many thanks to you. Now I understand perfectly, you cleared up the confusion. Actually since it reads the first 512 files regardless of size I think PainProphet is on the dot with the fact that 4GB is a sweet spot. My typical MP3's range from 5-7 MB so that range multiplied by 512 songs comes right up to btwn 3 and 4 GB. Most of my tracks are 192 KBPS and many are 256 and 320...Now it reads the first 512 songs even if those 512 songs obviously surpass 2GB correct? Because 512 of my songs will bring me to approx 3.5GB, hence a 4GB card would be brilliant.

The Mp3 player software in the G does not have issues with 128-320 KBPS correct? 95% of Mp3s fall within there. Also Constant vs variable bitrate is not an issue correct? Or longer filenames? Also if my laptop only has an SD card reader does that mean I need some type of CF to USB adapter for file transfer? Please let me know.

I am on the boat with Garnet Canuck in the sense that I do not want to invest in an iPod and just want to casually refresh the collection I have on my CF card from time to time - even if it's just intermittently taking out 10 songs to put in 100 other ones, etc....
Yeaahhh, it's shake and bake, and I helped...

It does not have a problem with variable rated or long named mp3's. Also, yes you will need some form of cf card reader. If you aren't aware of newegg already, here you go: www.newegg.com

I'm not sure if they have any SD to CF card adapters though, but that might be an option if you had a 4gb sd card.

Last edited by PainProphet; 01-04-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
PainProphet

I can't be sure that this works in the Z(Edit: lolz I'm still typing Z, I mean G, I don't own a 350z anymore, lolz), but if you already have a 4gb sd card that you want to use, then you could technically use this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-MMC-Card-to-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by PainProphet; 01-04-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
bryan3d4

Is this 512 file limit documented anywhere?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
PainProphet

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Has anyone tried using a larger CF card and putting more than 512 songs on it but in a couple folders. I know the CF reader on the car can only read 512 files but if you split up say 1000 songs between two folders would that work? Someone should try this if it hasn't been done already to see if it works.
That does not work, it's the total amount of files/folders on the partition... In addition to that, the file system NTFS does not work (it at least did not recognize my card as that), it has to be at least FAT32, not sure about FAT.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by bryan3d4
Is this 512 file limit documented anywhere?
Thanks in advance.
Yep, it's in your owner's manual.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
tampa pb

so you CAN move files in mp3 format onto the CF card, and keep them as data? the reason i want to verify is because our cd player wont accept mp3 as data files. i'm pretty sure this has been answered above, just want to double check. thanks..
Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tampa pb
so you CAN move files in mp3 format onto the CF card, and keep them as data? the reason i want to verify is because our cd player wont accept mp3 as data files. i'm pretty sure this has been answered above, just want to double check. thanks..
The cd player does play MP3 cds at least if you have the Premium package, Tampa. It sounds like you might be burning the cd the incorrect way. Oh, and the files on the CF card should be MP3 which the Audio system can read.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
bryan3d4

Page: 4-36 Monitor, climate, audio, phone and voice recognition systems

I pulled the information below from the owner's manual (Page: 4-36).
It appears as though the file limits are based on your audio options.

The 512 limit only applies to vehicles with the navigation system -- such as mine

CF Card Folder levels

With navigation system:
Folder levels: 8, Folders: 255 (including root folder), Files: 512 (Max. 255 files for one folder)

Without navigation system:

Folder levels: 8, Folders and files: 999 (Max. 255 files for one folder)

Quick Reply: All about the Compact Flash Slot