Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

All about the Compact Flash Slot

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 PM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black fx-45
But you can do this with it. http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/
That link stopped working. At least the Canadian website still has it (for now)
http://www.infiniti.ca/en/general/ow...ate/index.html
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
black fx-45

Originally Posted by obsidiansti
no you can't. All that does is transfers the titles of the songs.
No you can't. What !!!!

Last edited by black fx-45; 11-17-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohseedee
I disagree. I think we have every right to complain. I would be completely happy if the car had only ipod support with no CF or HDD. You can buy a 80gb ipod for a couple hundred bucks and have all the music connectivity you want. In my opinion 2gb max CF card and a 9gb HDD that will take you forever to get music on are point less features. Features that we have to pay for. I would much rather have paid $1K less for the car without the limited CF and HDD music capability. I'll agree Ipod/CF/HDD looks good on paper and you can brag to your friends, but when it comes down to it Ipod is the only real way to play your music collection on this car. HDD and CF are just for looking cool.
Yeah, I have to say I agree with this. I would be happier if Infiniti removed the slot and it's terrible music/folder navigation, removed the musicbox software and it's stupid moving vehicle lock-outs, and threw in an iPod with the car instead.

The interface for the iPod (no moving vehicle lock-outs!) is SOO much better than what they did for the CF or the musicbox, that it seems a waste of time/energy to have it. I bet they spent more than $200 on software development for the crappy CF/musicbox interface.. and at the end of the day, I can't select a particular album if I'm driving but rather am forced to blindly "next " through everything on the musicbox or come to a stop (Wtf?!). With the iPod interface I can just touch Artists, album, done. It really is night/day to the point where I almost think:

1. Apple won't let you use the name iPod unless your interface isn't a POS, thus forcing Infiniti to "do it right"
2. Infiniti agreed to make the other options sufficiently crappier that an Ipod purchase would be appealing.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 AM
jaymes858

Okay so.... you guys are complaining because we have choices? I rarely use my ipod hook up and honestly am happy with listening to music off the 9gig harddrive. It's not by any means perfect, but its an option I choose to use because I don't carry an ipod everywhere i go.. My ipod is in my gym bag. Compact flash lets me update title tracks and allows me to listen to MP3's. i don't really need 80 gigs of choices. I just update the compact flash when i get tired of my selection. I'm sure if infinity just left the musicbox wide open to upload files and play what ever music we want would somehome bring Riaa on them. i just think its a nice choice... stupid moving vehicle lockouts prevent stupid people from crashing their car and then suing..... its sad to say if soemone can sue and win for drinking hot coffee and burning their lips ..then I can understand why.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I'm not complaining because we have choices...I'm complaining because we don't have choices. There were features in the Premium and Nav package I needed and were really great (Nav system is the best I've seen on any car). But, to get these packages you had to get features that IMO are useless. For the price it cost to implement the MusicBox and CF card capabilities I could have bought an extra Ipod to just leave in the car and have plenty of money left over. I understand that many people find the CF card convenient to quickly listen to a few select songs, but I would rather have all my music in one place that has easy navigation to the songs I want.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
TopTech

Office Depot is selling 2G cards for $20. Time to stock up, but only for the next 2 days.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=941368
Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM
iko

Originally Posted by TopTech
Office Depot is selling 2G cards for $20. Time to stock up, but only for the next 2 days.

2GB CF cards are always pretty cheap. MicroCenter has them for about $20 all the time. http://www.microcenter.com/search_re...x=0&submit.y=0
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
mal_TX

Yep, I have an iPod nano that just lives in the center console 24/7 unless I take it out to put different music on it.

BTW the musicbox identifies several of my different PearlJam albums as the same album and gives me no way to fix it other than their tedious one-by-one approach of their UI.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 AM
gno

i think the features are cool. yeah the music box sucks cuz it dont isolate each album/artist. but i manage, i only use the compact flash for temporary song i know im gonna replace with time. and on the harddrive i have all the classics albums ie. from reasonable doubt to american gangster. keep in mind perfection comes with time. im sure theyll work out the kinks
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So the only way to Upload songs to the Hard Drive is with a Audio CD!? Thats retarted!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 AM
symalik
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TopTech

Thank you toptech, i just picked one up on the way home. Microcenter is too far off a drive
Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Raheel
So the only way to Upload songs to the Hard Drive is with a Audio CD!? Thats retarted!!!
As mentioned on this board, more than a few times, "Yup." Everyone assumes this was to not get the RIAA all uppity.

OCD: You're complaining about a 512 song limit, on media that costs $20 per card? A CF card that let's dealers easily perform updates, and lets me update the CDDB stuff for my alubms? And space on the hard drive that was left over after the nav/voice install? It's kind of like me complaining about the iPod inegration (I don't own one, and don't plan on it).

Here's a question (and it's not rhetorical): What other cars out there offer these kind of choices for onboard storage of songs? I mean something further than iPod integration or a line in jack?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CF slot is fantastic. Stop yer bitchin. Sound like a bunch of girls. My apologies to the girls.

Last edited by RedHerring; 11-20-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ghideon
As mentioned on this board, more than a few times, "Yup." Everyone assumes this was to not get the RIAA all uppity.

OCD: You're complaining about a 512 song limit, on media that costs $20 per card? A CF card that let's dealers easily perform updates, and lets me update the CDDB stuff for my alubms? And space on the hard drive that was left over after the nav/voice install? It's kind of like me complaining about the iPod inegration (I don't own one, and don't plan on it).

Here's a question (and it's not rhetorical): What other cars out there offer these kind of choices for onboard storage of songs? I mean something further than iPod integration or a line in jack?
I don't know what other cars are offering and I don't really care. The ipod integration is amazing, so why would I ever use anything else with less capability. Theres no way I'm going to spend days riping CDs to just get 1/5 of my music collection only to have sub par navigation (compared to the ipod). Why would I put 500 songs on a CF card when I already have all my songs on my ipod?

I only use the line-in for my portable Sirius radio and the ipod. I'm not saying other cars are better or have more features, all I'm saying is if I could have taken out the musicbox and CF for $1,000 off or even $500 off the price of the car, I would have done it in a second.

Just curious, the people that think the musicbox and CF card are great features and worth the money....Do you guys have ipods and tried to use them in the car? The ipod navigation is much better then the musicbox or CF card.

I'm not saying Infiniti screwed up...I LOVE MY CAR!! I just don't like the idea of having expensive features that I'll never use. Other then that I have zero complaints about this car.....except for my swirly black paint, but that was expected.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

I'm not a fan of iTunes so much as the iPod. Most of my mp3s are either kept in the car, or on my laptop, which runs Linux. There's no iTunes Linux client, but I did try out the Amazon mp3 store today. Nice, but prolly limited in selection compared to iTunes.

I borrowed my sister's iPod very briefly when I first got the car. Maybe I'll break down and buy one (I have a Windows desktop), but for right now the CF card and the hard drive work fine for me.

Quick Reply: All about the Compact Flash Slot