Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bose System Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 PM
milelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose System Quality

Hi everyone, i just have a questions on the stereo. I see many people are saying the Bose system is not too graet or simply "average"...I dont know about audio systems too well but aren't bose system pretty good already?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Bose is ok. They are not as impressive as you might think however. If you are an audiophile then Bose is not that great. But if you are the average listener then Bose is very good for a factory stereo. The Infiniti Studio on Wheels system is very good for the average consumer. Audiophiles will want more base.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bose has a great marketing hype, but as far as sound is concerned, it lacks definition that one would expect from an "upgraded" sound system.

Bass (even when turned all the way up), lacks any sort of punch, and makes the rest of the speakers "boomy."

Midrange - non-existant... doesn't even have controls for it.

Highs - ehhh. System would probably sound nicer should one turn the bass controls down (as I'm guessing the speakers begin to distort once you crank it up). Better sound could be achieved from turning the bass down, and adding a sub (if you dont mind losing the already precious trunk space).

Overall, compared to the Mark Levinson, Bose is what Nissan is to Infiniti... does that make sense?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by milelin
Hi everyone, i just have a questions on the stereo. I see many people are saying the Bose system is not too graet or simply "average"...I dont know about audio systems too well but aren't bose system pretty good already?
Like anything, and everything else, if it sounds good to you, then its good. If the car is quick enough for you and handles well enough for you, then it is good. Do not worry about what others (especially self proclaimed experts) say.

P.S. Sound is in the ear of the beholder. For many, many years people assumed JBL were the best speakers in the world because virtually all recording studios used them as monitors. Well, the recording studios used them as monitors because JBL was the first speaker company to actually make a studio monitor. They were the only game in town, not necessarily the best game in town.

Regarding Bose, you will hear people tell you how great it sounds and you will hear people tell you how crappy it sounds. However, I have not read one comment that describes the type of music the commenter listens to. Do not forget that "real" sound companies and "real" commentators always start with the type of music the listener listens to.

P.P.S. In a moving vehicle with all the road noise coming through, certain frequency ranges need boosts or cuts to simulate concert sound, and these boosts and cuts "color" the sound to some peoples' ears.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 AM
marsb007

^^^^ I agree. The music you listen to, as well as the source (input) you listen to will greatly affect the way the system sounds.

Personally, I found instumental music to sound the best on the Bose system (like jazz for example).

Rock is okay, and rap - hip/hop is terrible. I'd take a CD with you when you go listen to the system, with some of the types of music you listen to... only you can make the determination whether it's good for you or not.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
milelin

thanks for the info guys.. i am actually going to get my IP G37S soon. I now live in Taiwan and we only get one model type here. 5AT with 4WAS and the spork pack. its not officially on sale here yet so still have to wait a bit.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no his no lows must be bose
Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its crap. Bose is not what they once were in cars. I hoping once i add the JL 10 things should sound better
Old 10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The SOW sounds fine to me. But I am definitely not an audiophile.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
carman63

Whether you like the system or not will depend on your listening tastes, style of music, whether you most enjoy listening with the windows up or down, if you like to 'feel' your music, etc.

Best bet is to take some music that you're very familiar with, and play it on the system. Make sure to set the tone controls to 'flat' initially, so you know what 'neutral' sounds like. Then adjust the settings to see what sounds best for you.

I personally like the sound of the system, but I am listening to spoken-word (traffic/weather) about 50% of the time I'm in the car, and either my iPod or XM the other 50%.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

I like the SOW as well. When listening to jazz type stuff, it sounds very nice. But there are times, for other music styles, where I wish it had more bass. Prolly will add a sub in a few months.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
system sounds great to me. i listen with my iphone hooked up about 75% of the time, and terrestrial morning talk/comedy shows the remainder. talk, even on radio sounds fine, and depending on SOURCE MP3 quality, the iphone sounds fantastic. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, even Deftones and Chevelle all sound great.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
DrJones

Sorry for going off topic but I recently had a chance to preview an Audi S8 with the Bang and Olufsen system in it. It was truely impressive.

As far as the Bose system in my G37, it does seem lakening in a way. My 0.02
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comparing the sound system in a $100K car to one that costs less than half seems a little unfair doesn't it?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
dmkozak

Also, was the S8 in a showroom, or did you drive it. Please remember road noise when actually driving the car greatly impacts what you hear versus hearing it in a showroom.

Don't those video systems always look great in the showroom and don't the audio systems in the carpeted sound rooms always sound great?

Quick Reply: Bose System Quality