Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bose System Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 AM
carman63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
Comparing the sound system in a $100K car to one that costs less than half seems a little unfair doesn't it?
I don't think he was comparing the 2 - he mentioned 'going off-topic'. I think he just wanted to convey the fact that he likes the B&O system
Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Here's some reading to put things into perspective... although it's mainly focused towards home audio, by critically listening to the Bose system in our cars, everything holds true.

For those that think the Bose sounds good... PLEASE, PLEASE... go listen to a Mark Levinson system. All of our opinions are useless, and full of $hit without being able to compare them with something else... if my comparison for the system is another "older" Bose system, or the factory system in a lot of the cars out there, then YES!! BOSE IS GREAT! If however you have a frame of reference of what "Good sound" is like, Bose doesn't even come close...
Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the SOW is much better than I had so I don't want to complain. It is not perfect, I can hear the gaps in the spectrum coverage. I'm not going to do anything but add a sub probably. It has so many connectivity features that I am in heaven, actually. Sounding pretty good is just icing on the cake. That's just me, though.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
marsb007

Originally Posted by RedHerring
Yeah the SOW is much better than I had so I don't want to complain. It is not perfect, I can hear the gaps in the spectrum coverage. I'm not going to do anything but add a sub probably. It has so many connectivity features that I am in heaven, actually. Sounding pretty good is just icing on the cake. That's just me, though.
Don't get me wrong... I love the connectivity this car has (by far exceeds my old Lexus connectivity). However, as far as the speakers are concerned, they're crap. I'm really curious to see whether a simple replacement of the speakers will improve matters at all, however, I'm afraid Bose tuned their system with the speakers' crappy frequencies in mind... so it wouldn't matter much.

And I'm just venting... I'd still get the car in a heartbeat should that decision come up again...
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to replace the speakers if it helped. I just have to keep the head unit. Not going to lose that steering wheel integration etc. Amps and speakers are a different story. Meanwhile I can live with it.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

you can swap all the speakers out and tap into the system and run some aftermarket amps as well. then tune the amps properly to your new speakers. OF course the stock head unit may hinder performance but im sure it'll still sound better. I know a few good subs in the trunk nicely tuned would make worlds of difference to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
futurecoupin36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yes i agree with the fact that the type of music you listen to greatly affects the way the system sounds to you. Im just not a big fan of any music on this bose system.

Exscuse me if I come off a little harsh, the G35/7 are amazing pieces of machinary and I love em. My biggest gripe though is the lack of base. Best fix in my opinion is add a couple subs in the trunk, if u dont mind comprominsing space. Just venting a little

Last edited by futurecoupin36; 10-17-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by marsb007
Bose has a great marketing hype, but as far as sound is concerned, it lacks definition that one would expect from an "upgraded" sound system.

Bass (even when turned all the way up), lacks any sort of punch, and makes the rest of the speakers "boomy."

Midrange - non-existant... doesn't even have controls for it.

Highs - ehhh. System would probably sound nicer should one turn the bass controls down (as I'm guessing the speakers begin to distort once you crank it up). Better sound could be achieved from turning the bass down, and adding a sub (if you dont mind losing the already precious trunk space).

Overall, compared to the Mark Levinson, Bose is what Nissan is to Infiniti... does that make sense?

I agree completely. No mid-range, average bass....for the average listener it's decent and having 11 speakers sounds good on paper even though it sounds like 6-7 speakers...Also I feel that the volume only really thumps when the volume is well past halfway. On my Lexus the music get loud right before getting to halfway and also I agree that putting the bass at about 60% in the controls help clarity....

I am gonna keep my systemstock it's good enough for me - but it has the sound of what standard would be. I would hate the non-premium system. Probably sounds like my Honda Accord. Which is not a total diss cause my 2004 Accord has decent sound.