Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

IPod Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 AM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPod Classic

Almost, if not all, 1G to 5G iPod accessories are not compatible with the new 6G iPod. (You may need to buy them all again).

Does this compatability issue affect the connection with the new iPod Classic and the G37?
Does anyone have a working iPod Classic and can comment on the audio and video functionality?

Last edited by rrrevin; 10-06-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:36 AM
IP37

I have a classic, don't have my car yet though
Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AFAIK, there are no compatibility issues with the audio portion an iPhone. Mine works fine. When you plug in the dock connector, it'll display the stupid message about compatibility, but just hit no and nothing is affected. I have yet to try the AUX/video, but I have to upgrade my firmware to 1.1.1 for TV out...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:26 PM
pensfan

I thought that video accessories were really the only ones that were incompatible?

I haven't had any problems with my Classic and the Belkin TuneDok I got for my 5G. Both the audio and charging work the same.

EDIT
From Gizmodo's article on iLounge's review of the 1.0.2 firmware:
The TV Out lock has been partially eliminated; the new options allow you to choose between 'On', 'Off' or 'Ask'. With the settings on either 'On' or 'Ask,' a prompt occurs prior to playback requesting a connection to an Apple authorized accessory. The guys at iLounge managed to get video playback working by starting with an authorized accessory, and then switching across to a non-official device. Sadly, it didn't "just work," and seems far from a workable solution to us. The upgrade is available for download now.

Last edited by pensfan; 10-06-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
bostonmerlin

i have a 160gb classic.. no problems with my g37 nav... except it takes FOREVER to scan down the artists list. there is no way to quickly jump to a,b, e,t,z etc.. artists.. you have to scroll down one by one with either the **** or arrow.. or page by hitting the down button on the nav screen. they dropped the ball on this one big time.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 PM
swank6

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
i have a 160gb classic.. no problems with my g37 nav... except it takes FOREVER to scan down the artists list. there is no way to quickly jump to a,b, e,t,z etc.. artists.. you have to scroll down one by one with either the **** or arrow.. or page by hitting the down button on the nav screen. they dropped the ball on this one big time.
I'm having this same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

Normally something like this could be fixed in firmware updates, but I doubt that works for cars...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:49 PM
carman63

2nd. This is probably my biggest gripe with the iPod interface. Otherwise, my 80GB Classic and iPhone both work fine for audio.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Degenerazn

I have an OLD ipod, the 3rd generation with the four touch buttons and scroll wheel, no color screen. Works great w/ my G.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
bostonmerlin

i'm considering make a change to my genres to include a-d, e-h etc.. that way i can use genre to jump anywhere within the a-z list. This might not work for those of you who use genre as it was intended (rock, pop, classic etc.) but i only use genre today because i cant scroll down quick enough...
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
carman63

i'm considering make a change to my genres to include a-d, e-h etc.. that way i can use genre to jump anywhere within the a-z list. This might not work for those of you who use genre as it was intended (rock, pop, classic etc.) but i only use genre today because i cant scroll down quick enough...
That's a great idea! I might have to make some smart playlists like that tonight, to test it.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM
KDub

80 gb iPod classic works great for me. Ditto the lack of a better way to scan through artists.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let us know if this works.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:23 AM
IP37

picked the car up last night, used my classic on the way home. worked great after I figured out how to get the music to play

I also got the apple composite video cable in yesterday that you now have to use with the classic, so i'll give that a try later today if anyone wants to know anything about it
Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 AM
black fx-45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use that cable with my classic and iphone with G37 no issues at all. I wish i had a video input on my fx.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not yet set up my G5.5 iPod (actually, it is my wife's, she won it at work for performance, but she can't figure it out, so I thought I would "borrow" it), but in reading the earlier posts I thought of multiple branches with fewer "files" in each branch (to use old DOS terms). Yes, you would have to scroll by branch and then file, but that should be faster than through one big file just to get to ZZ Top.

Also, the iPod will be used predominantly in the G37, so it probably makes sense to set it up for this specific use.

Quick Reply: IPod Classic