Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Voice Recognition for Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 AM
cartman13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a pain. I guess i will do this too, but i'd much rather have the commands than the money.

But the only way they will light a fire under the engineer's @$$ is if this costs them enough i guess.....
Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 AM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cartman13
What a pain. I guess i will do this too, but i'd much rather have the commands than the money.

But the only way they will light a fire under the engineer's @$$ is if this costs them enough i guess.....

I seriously doubt the engineers have anything to do with the reduced command set because it was included initially. More than likely was the legal department.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:40 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^No it was not the legal department, it was the marketing department. They did a study on their target audience and the people surveyed said the voice-command list was to complicated and had to many commands which confused them. That is why they took out the commands. Sad really!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by bboysteele
^^No it was not the legal department, it was the marketing department. They did a study on their target audience and the people surveyed said the voice-command list was to complicated and had to many commands which confused them. That is why they took out the commands. Sad really!
bboysteele:+1 It is sad, and your suggested "why?" makes the most sense as ($) Marketing would trump all others.
Just curious, did you get someone at Infiniti to actually "own" this as the reason for the change? My ICA person put it on the engineers. In hindsight, I think she was guessing (or told to say that) Putting the responsibility on legal or engineering doesn't fit.

/The good news? if the loss of VC's was a bottom line decision, wouldn't it follow that if enough people make noise ($) Marketing would react by making a restore available? Someone, perhaps, didn't think their cunning plan through.
//Wouldn't be surprised @ all to see those VC's back in '09. And outside of settling w/us one @ a time, here & there....just wait us out.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
TyChee

I am sure that this has been suggested before.......but I think that they should have kept all of the voice commands intact and offered different levels such as novice and expert mode expanding or removing the commands to the level the user chooses he wants to deal with. I was really disappointed when my car arrived and did not have the full set of voice commands. The car I test drove had them. I am sure that a lot of potential g37 buyers are attracted to the technology in the car and can handle the voice commands. Ford has been showing off the voice commands in there new Microsoft Sync system in their latest ads. Even going so far as to demonstrate being able to call up a particular artist stored in an ipod. I don't think Infiniti has much confidence in their customers and maybe did not want to handle a lot of calls related to the voice commands. Anyway...I feel a bit cheated here.

Ty
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM
go4gr8

Lesson to be learned - never let marketing do usability testing on what's confusing and what's not. You'd think they'd let usability to fix the problem on voice UI's.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
jedmonds
Registered Member

Mine's missing the commands.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM
TopTech

I wish someone would post an amended "cheat sheet" for our later model navs.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Idaho siirto
bboysteele:+1 It is sad, and your suggested "why?" makes the most sense as ($) Marketing would trump all others.
Just curious, did you get someone at Infiniti to actually "own" this as the reason for the change? My ICA person put it on the engineers. In hindsight, I think she was guessing (or told to say that) Putting the responsibility on legal or engineering doesn't fit.

/The good news? if the loss of VC's was a bottom line decision, wouldn't it follow that if enough people make noise ($) Marketing would react by making a restore available? Someone, perhaps, didn't think their cunning plan through.
//Wouldn't be surprised @ all to see those VC's back in '09. And outside of settling w/us one @ a time, here & there....just wait us out.
It was posted on here a couple months past. I believe it might have been in a letter a member got and scanned. I sort of remember seeing it in writing but I am not sure. This is the only reason that would make since because if it was an Engineer recommendation then they would have recalled the previous G's with the old list because something would have been wrong with the system for Engineers to care.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
3des

Well "case by case" consideration means I'm not getting **** besides that 250 offered from ICA. BBB says that is the best they can do (which means they did nothing). Congrats to those of you that got payouts from Nissan because they may be drying up.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
dvrming

Here is the "cheat sheet" for the revised command set

Originally Posted by TopTech
I wish someone would post an amended "cheat sheet" for our later model navs.

YOU BEEN CHEATED!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
dvrming

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I think they used the Lexus crowd for that study by mistake. Someone who wants a softer ride and not too many tech gadgets (too confusing). No, seriously, if someone wants a G37 - COUPE - he (NOT she because this is not a girly car ) is much more likely than the average Infiniti buyer to want more voice commands.

Oh, what about a 6MT buyer? Don't you think someone who is willing to shift to have more control over their car would be willing to learn a more complete set of voice commands to control the HVAC etc?

AND. If they change cars in mid production based on surveys, they would have shipped our 6MT with a 5AT!!!

Hello, Infinit, this voice command change makes just as much (non-)sense!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 3des
Well "case by case" consideration means I'm not getting **** besides that 250 offered from ICA. BBB says that is the best they can do (which means they did nothing). Congrats to those of you that got payouts from Nissan because they may be drying up.
I think I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I just spoke to the BBB and they told me that Nissan/Infiniti sent a reply back to dismiss the case because its not a mechanical problem with the car and the car is functioning as it is supposed to. You are lucky you got 250 offered from ICA- they told me to go pound sand. I added a few more things to my file, so hopefully it will help.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
holy crap! i feel like i joke woke up from a coma. what's this about? LOL

they removed some voice commands? for what reason?

i have temperature commands but no entry exit. i figured the no entry/exit was for safety of the rear passenger.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 AM
dummptyhummpty

Man i'm upset. I haven't bough the car yet, but I was really looking forward to those commands. It's nice that you all are getting some money back, but what does that do for those of us who haven't bought the car yet, but were interested in it based on those features.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition for Climate Control