Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Audio Options....The Real Story ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
thread Resurrection....

No Not yet...alot of people are toying with changin all the speakers including me... not sure if anyone has pulled the trigga yet...

Welcome BTW....
I've pulled it..

Morel 3 way Elate 9, enough imaging for the whole car, disconnected center and rear. 2 10 " Image Dynamics IDQ V3, trunk baffle set up, no box. Zapco DC REF. 750.2 to power subs, 1000.4 to power Morels.

Once i get this tuned, IASCA here i come!!!! lol
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you're talking about the Bose replacement.

Can you provide some hands on info on the OEM speaker size, shape and depth for the doors and rear deck?

That would be a big help. Some info on disconnecting the center would be good, too. Does the nav audio still work?

Some info I have says the door has a round, 10 inch and other source says 10 inch but not round. Are the rear deck speakers round 6.5 inch?

I'm thinking about using Dyns in the rear instead of Quart Q's but I don't want to order until I'm sure about the size.

I'm still in limbo with my Dynaudio install, on the road again. Frustrating.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Originally Posted by KahnQuistador

Can you provide some hands on info on the OEM speaker size, shape and depth for the doors and rear deck?

That would be a big help. Some info on disconnecting the center would be good, too. Does the nav audio still work?

Some info I have says the door has a round, 10 inch and other source says 10 inch but not round. Are the rear deck speakers round 6.5 inch?

I'm thinking about using Dyns in the rear instead of Quart Q's but I don't want to order until I'm sure about the size.

The stock sub's on the door, are 10 inch, dept is about 2.25 inches. If you install, you only have a clearance of about 2.5 inches if you don't make an adapter plate.

The rear deck speakers 6x9's. You have to get a 6x9 adapter to 6.5 if you decide to use a 6.5 dyn or MB Q.

once i get the sponsorship, i can post more pics of the install. Im at quota already.

Hope that helps
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 PM
KahnQuistador

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

Good luck with the IASCA. I was looking at the Morels if the Dyns didn't work. They look like awesome speakers.

Go kick some a$$.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by ampdG37
The stock sub's on the door, are 10 inch, dept is about 2.25 inches. If you install, you only have a clearance of about 2.5 inches if you don't make an adapter plate.

The rear deck speakers 6x9's. You have to get a 6x9 adapter to 6.5 if you decide to use a 6.5 dyn or MB Q.

once i get the sponsorship, i can post more pics of the install. Im at quota already.

Hope that helps
With the 5/8 baffles that u used for the front doors, did you run into any clearance issues with the door panel and the woofer cone? You had to cut the plastic backing to let the motor fit through, right?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that our doors hold some serious moisture. even a day after rain I get water streaks on my windows if I have them open and then close them. Anyone else?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
dillyyo

Why in Limbo? isn't it being installed yet?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:36 AM
dillyyo

I've pulled it..

Morel 3 way Elate 9, enough imaging for the whole car, disconnected center and rear. 2 10 " Image Dynamics IDQ V3, trunk baffle set up, no box. Zapco DC REF. 750.2 to power subs, 1000.4 to power Morels.

Once i get this tuned, IASCA here i come!!!! lol
Can you please elaborate on the imaging with the stock locations. Are you using any type of time alignment? Are you running the front stage passive and if not,what are your crossover points. Is your imaging pulled low on the doors at all or is your stage height at least pretty solid.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Why in Limbo? isn't it being installed yet?
Because I use the car when I go on the road. The install starts when I get back from this trip.

I travel for work too much but I've grown used to eating, etc.

I've got my fingers crossed given the size of those Dyns. Based in ampd's input, it might be very tight. I might just use some Quart 6x9s I have from the G35 in the rear but haven't decided yet. No 6x9 Dyns available, right?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 AM
dillyyo

Because I use the car when I go on the road. The install starts when I get back from this trip.

I travel for work too much but I've grown used to eating, etc.

I've got my fingers crossed given the size of those Dyns. Based in ampd's input, it might be very tight. I might just use some Quart 6x9s I have from the G35 in the rear but haven't decided yet. No 6x9 Dyns available, right?
It will be tight, but will fit. Have heard of a couple of installs, so don't worry. As far as the 6x9's, I would just dump them. Take them out so you have better access for the sub frequencies into the cabin. No need for them IMHO.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
kfr01

Hope that helps
Looking forward to seeing the install pics so I can tell my guy what to do!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM
daquilini

basic physics

Originally Posted by dannbla
Yeah I agree this is what seperates it from other cd players. It's all about DAC, since CD's are recorded from analog to digital back to analog and thats what decodes it back to digital.
Todays studio consoles are digital and have been for 20 years!!!!!! Furthermore Digital Audio Conversion can happen in either direction (A/D or D/A)if the recording is analog to begin with a code is determined/assigned by the sine wave (the anolog signal) and then converted to the to the digital domain in bi-nary code. It would not be necessary to convert from the digital domain if the recording was digital until playback. Analog conversion from digital makes playback through the amps and speakers possible. The preamp and amp stages are still (the devices) analog. Fet or mosfet or conventional bi-polar outputs(pnp/npn transistor) and tubes for that matter output devices lives in the analog domain. Speakers are analog devices that convert electrical energy to mechanical energy.

Last edited by daquilini; 05-22-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Originally Posted by kfr01
Looking forward to seeing the install pics so I can tell my guy what to do!
here's one that i posted already. One of our customers cars

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/180750-ip-audio-build.html
Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
thread Resurrection....

No Not yet...alot of people are toying with changin all the speakers including me... not sure if anyone has pulled the trigga yet...

Welcome BTW....
Hehehe, I have. System in progress though. I will post pics when done. Look at sig to start drooling.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Trigger pulled.

Head unit stays. Alpine PDX 4 x 150 and PDX 600 x 1 already here, Dynaudio System 362 and RF 3Sixty.2 arrive tomorrow. JL 10w6v2-d4 in 4080's enclosure already installed.

TBD: Buy Dynaudio MW 172's (maybe 162's?) or keep MB Quart Q's for the back deck? The Q's are great but the MW 172's match the System 362 woofers.

TBD: Replace center speaker with Dynaudio MD 142 or leave stock? Can the head unit drive this speaker without the Bose amp (which will be removed)?

First rate shop on standby for install with dynamat, speaker enclosures, etc. Making final decision on TBD's after the install.

To do: Put JL 500/5, 300/2 amps, MB Quart Q's, DTC 169's and 4080 box from G35 on Ebay.

Next TBD: Go with Laser Interceptor or stay with Blinder M20 laser jammer. M20's worked great in the G35 but specs on the Interceptor are better. V1 already installed.

-Troll
Pics please.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
KahnQuistador

Already posted some pics, just sift through my posts.

Final system: Factory head unit, Dynaudio System 362 in front, Quart Qs in rear deck, JL 10W6 in 4080 enclosure, Alpine amps, RF 360.2 processor.

I also kept the Bose amp driving the factory tweeters, rear sides and center channel.

The rears turned out to be a bust in this configuration. Not much volume with the fader set to rear only and it sounds like the head unit has a LP filter on the outputs. Doesn't matter, though. The Dynaudios do a fine job. Also turns out that mounting the Dyn mids in the kick panels is a none issue. Probably keep them there.

Sounds SOOOO much better now.

Quick Reply: Audio Options....The Real Story ????