Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Looking for Remote Start on your 6mt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 AM
bostonmerlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Remote Start on your 6mt?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...20/062743.html

Remote Start - It's Not Just for Automatic Transmissions Any More!

VISTA, Calif., Sept. 20 -- Fall is in the air, and remote start season is coming to the Great Lakes, New England and the Mid- Atlantic regions -- anywhere that gets cold. However, this winter there's good news: Directed Electronics , the largest designer and marketer in North America of consumer branded vehicle security and remote start systems based on sales, with leading brands like Viper, Python and Clifford, today announced the availability of an interface that permits the installation of remote start systems on manual transmission vehicles.
That means that, starting this fall and winter, owners of stick shift vehicles can press a button on their keychain remote from the comfort of their home or office, and from up to a mile away their vehicle's engine will start remotely, and its climate control system will pre-warm the car and defrost the windows. In other words, the comfort and convenience of remote start is no longer limited to automatic transmission vehicles.
According to Jim Minarik, President and CEO of Directed Electronics, "Our new 689M Neutral Safety Module will make the comfort and convenience of remote start available to millions of potential users in the cold weather states, who previously couldn't enjoy it because they don't drive automatics." With an MSRP of $99, the 689M is now available at thousands of authorized Viper, Python and Clifford retailers across North America and around the world. (Remote start systems sold separately, and authorized dealer installation of the 689M is required.) For more information and a store locator, please visit http://www.directed.com/
About Directed Electronics
Headquartered in Vista, California, Directed Electronics is the largest designer and marketer in North America of premium home theater loudspeakers, consumer branded vehicle security, vehicle remote start and convenience systems, and the largest supplier of aftermarket satellite radio receivers based on sales. Directed is also a major supplier of mobile audio and video systems and has exclusive rights to market and sell certain SIRIUS-branded satellite radio receivers and accessories to Directed's existing U.S. retailer customer base. In the home audio market, Directed designs and markets award-winning Polk Audio(R) and Definitive Technology(R) premium loudspeakers. Directed's broad portfolio of security products, remote start, hybrid systems, and GPS tracking systems are sold under leading brands including Viper(R), Clifford(R), Python(R), Astroflex(R) and Autostart(R). Directed's mobile audio and video products include speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers and video screens, sold under its Polk Audio(R), Orion(R), Precision Power(R), Directed Audio(R), Xtreme(R) and Directed Video(R) brand names. Directed was founded in 1982 and markets its broad portfolio of products through many channels including leading retailers and specialty chains throughout North America and around the world. More information is available at http://www.directed.com/.
CAPTION : Now remote start systems like these Responder SST systems from Viper, Python and Clifford can be installed on manual transmission vehicles using the new Directed 689M Neutral Safety Module, making the comfort and convenience of remote start available to potentially millions of stick shift drivers worldwide.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
ampm24

I'm assuming you'll have to remember to leave it in Neutral and hope the parking break holds? interesting
Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
pensfan

If the info from a local installer I know through the 3000GT/Stealth community is correct, CompuSTAR alarm systems have been available with this since at least 2002 I'm not sure if it's a standalone option now or not (though it's unclear from that news release if the "new" module is really standalone or not).

Originally Posted by 2002 post from 3si.org
My company sells remote start/alarm systems that will work 100% safely on all manual transmission cars. There are no switches or buttons to push before you exit the car in order to make the remote start functional (like most other brands). All you have to do is pull the parking brake before you shut the ignition off. The car will then remain running until you open the door and exit. After closing the door, the car will shut off. It is now ready to be remote started. If anyone opens the door, the safety sequence is canceled and the car will not remote start. They are made by CompuSTAR, which is in Alaska. The best part of the alarm is that it has a 2-way communication remote with a graphical LCD display that will work up to 1-1/4 miles away. This means that you can be in Wal-Mart and the alarm will page you on the remote if it is triggered. You can also start the car from farther than you can see and it will confirm that the car has started on the remotes LCD graphical display. There is a less expensive model that has a 1/4 mile range (still VERY respectable) and all of the same features. There are also a ton of other features. If anyone in the Dayton/Cinci area is interested in one, PM me. We do not sell these over the counter, only installed because we want to make sure it gets done right.

Last edited by pensfan; 09-21-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM
spyderbret

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this isn't too OT but dosent somone make one that uses the OEM key fob?
I would be pretty interested in that....
Old 09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^+1
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 AM
KPierson
Banned

This module isn't required on newer Nissans/Infinitis because they already have an OEM Neutral Safety Switch (PNP switch as it is referred to by Nissan).

All you have to do is tap that signal and the car won't remote start unless the tranny is in N. No sequences to remember and no $100 module.

DEI has had this module availible in Canada for a few years now, it's good to see they are finally ready to bring it to the USA.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
MAXIMKA

who now where is that pnp switch located
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Mike6mt

I think it will only remote start in neutral. Very cool! Wondering how does the alarm work with our type of key. Won't it sense that we are always inside the car since its proximity? Has anyone installed a 2-way alarm yet?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
tampa pb

i will be going to see about an involved alarm system this weekend.
on my S2000 i have a pretty involved one, and on my spyder, one as well.

both are manual transmitions, and both have remote starts on the cars.

i will prob make a new thread with exactly what must be done for every alarm mod possible (that i can think of). more details will prob thread jack, so not my style.