Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Driving without the key fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
spyderbret

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving without the key fob

This was brought up in another thread and has been a concern for me since I bought my wife a G35 sedan last year.
My question is, how long will the car run without the key? Shouldnt the car be programmed to turn off if it does not detect the key? Theoretically you could drive the car until it runs out of gas without the key. Is this something that Infiniti thought about? Is there anything that can be done?
Thoughts? Comments?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM
ABQG35c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will run until it's turned off... I asked the dealer this question too and that's what he told me.

I think a way to help you would be to get the fob, on a key chain loop, then onto one of those hikers rope clips that they sell for keys? Clip it onto your belt loop or something.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
it cant be programmed to be turned off... if you're driving and a big messasge system says -- NO KEY-- im sure that's a sign u dont have the keys w/ u
Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
spyderbret

I think it would be a nice feature that if you drove away without the key that it would eventually turn off. Maybe if there was a 20 or 30 second countdown. I am sure there are too many legal issues to make that happen but it would be cool if somone tried to seal you car and it just turned off a block away.
I guess there are just a few things you have to live with when you purchase a car loaded with so much technology!!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
dennisjai

so you guys are saying the car works without the key or anything in your pockets??
Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Car can detect whether the key is inside the car when locking the doors (Won't let you lock the doors with the FOB inside the car) - I don't see why it would be so hard that if you left the vehicle with the FOB that it turned itself off.

Just make it so everytime you get out of the car with the FOB it shuts off. Conversely, If you want to keep it running while you are not in the car, just leave the FOB in the car and get out.

Is there a safety issue I'm not thinking of or did Infiniti just not think it all the way through?

At minimum, have it beep or something so you know your spose just walked off with the key or something.

Last edited by iansw; 09-09-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 PM
sanscu

I thought the FX was 15 minutes once key fob out of zone before cutoff.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 PM
spyderbret

Originally Posted by dennisjai
so you guys are saying the car works without the key or anything in your pockets??
You have to have the key in the car to start it but once it is started you can walk away with the key in your pocket and it will keep running. I just wish there was some way to recognize that the key is gone and then shut off.
Oh well... Maybe Infiniti will have that figured out by the next gen G.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 PM
SilkeG

Definitely a safety issue if it cutoff automatically. If you were making a left turn across fast traffic or moving across some rail tracks, you sure don't want it to cutoff.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
WellBelowH2O

Originally Posted by spyderbret
You have to have the key in the car to start it but once it is started you can walk away with the key in your pocket and it will keep running. I just wish there was some way to recognize that the key is gone and then shut off.
Oh well... Maybe Infiniti will have that figured out by the next gen G.
I actually like the way it works... in the winter, it's nice to be able to turn the car on, take the fob and then walk away and lock the doors to let it warm up. Having to get the spare set of keys with my G35 was a pain.

As for theft, at least if a thief steals the car, they won't be able to start it up again. What's more likely, though, is that I'd drive off without it on me, and then have to drive back. It would really suck if it shut off on me by itself (or if I forgot it and turned it off at a store or something and went back to the car to go home and can't start it). Seems like mostly a non-issue, though, because I've quickly gotten into the habit of just always having the fob in my pocket.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilkeG
Definitely a safety issue if it cutoff automatically. If you were making a left turn across fast traffic or moving across some rail tracks, you sure don't want it to cutoff.

Who lets someone get out of their car on railroad tracks or while making a left turn?

I suppose maybe if someone threw it out the window on you or something....
Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 PM
argetni aruca

There is no way you can lock your keys in the car. Because all you have to do is push the button on the **** and the door unlocks.

There is also a drawback. Lets say you need to lock the door from someone trying to rob/car jack you. You try to lock the door but the guy just laughs and you and pushes the button. Then says, "gothcha biotch".
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 AM
NhatLai

There is also a drawback. Lets say you need to lock the door from someone trying to rob/car jack you. You try to lock the door but the guy just laughs and you and pushes the button. Then says, "gothcha biotch".
If you have the doors locked while inside with the Intelligent Key, no one can unlock the doors by pushing the button on the door handle. The Intelligent Key knows that its inside and not outside so disables the outside button.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 AM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NhatLai
If you have the doors locked while inside with the Intelligent Key, no one can unlock the doors by pushing the button on the door handle. The Intelligent Key knows that its inside and not outside so disables the outside button.
Exactly. The same reason you cannot lock yourself out if you left the IK in the car.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 AM
SilkeG

Originally Posted by iansw
Who lets someone get out of their car on railroad tracks or while making a left turn?

I suppose maybe if someone threw it out the window on you or something....
I guess I misread your post. I had the impression that you meant to automatically cutoff after say a minute where you can indeed be in a precarious situation. I guess you meant, to immediately cutoff once car moves out of proximity range say 5-10 feet.

I still don't like it, say your battery runs out on you. Rare that you would be making a left turn and battery dies, but I'm sure Infiniti doesn't want any lawsuits.

Your concern for anti-theft is valid. Say someone pretends to get into car beside you, once you come near, he jumps in kind of thing. Either don't come close until he's gone, or Infiniti should have provided a way to disable start if you press a button on remote.

EDIT: I reread this thread, your post didn't say any delay but a number of others mentioned 30 secs or 15 min delay, that is why I had that impression.

Last edited by SilkeG; 09-10-2007 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving without the key fob