Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Convert XM to Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert XM to Sirius?

Can I convert the standard XM to Sirius?

Now that Sirius is no longer an option on new Infiniti vehicles, does anyone know how to convert the standard XM radio to Sirius? What would I have to buy? How much does it cost? How easy is it to do?

If the merger between XM and Sirius gets approved later this year it no longer matters, but if it doesn’t I want to now that I can get my Sirius when I get my G37 coupe.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

I'd talk to your dealer. Sirius wasn't an option for me because I prefer XM's channel line up. However, after using the Traffic info stuff w/the nav it's so much nicer.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 AM
Memphoman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohseedee
Can I convert the standard XM to Sirius?

Now that Sirius is no longer an option on new Infiniti vehicles, does anyone know how to convert the standard XM radio to Sirius? What would I have to buy? How much does it cost? How easy is it to do?

If the merger between XM and Sirius gets approved later this year it no longer matters, but if it doesn’t I want to now that I can get my Sirius when I get my G37 coupe.

Thanks.
Just means changing UR receiver and don't hold UR breath waiting for XM and Sirius to merge, seriously doubt congress is going to let it happen, at least not for the forseeable future and will require changes in current regulations, not to mention opposition of the National Association of Broadcasters among others.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I spoke with a sales person at Infiniti and he said he doesn't think it's possible to convert the XM to Sirius and keep the in-dash integration. Has anyone actually tried converting XM to Sirius on the G37?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:57 AM
ABQG35c

The car just got released the middle/end of August, I think hardly anyone's done any massive modifications to their car, let alone know what offsets we can use with the wheels for the new brakes. Just be patient, it'll show up eventually.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I've been listening to XMs music for about a week now. And now more then ever I want to convert the XM to Sirius. Even if they merge I wont be able to get my Sirius music channels on the XM in my car. Has anyone heard anything about converting the XM radio to sirius.

I would like to keep the in-dash integration, but I am willing to give up Nav Traffic for superior music programming.

...I was actually shocked how much better Sirius music programing is over XM. I was expecting them to be about the same.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
iko

I've been listening to XMs music for about a week now. And now more then ever I want to convert the XM to Sirius. Even if they merge I wont be able to get my Sirius music channels on the XM in my car. Has anyone heard anything about converting the XM radio to sirius.

I would like to keep the in-dash integration, but I am willing to give up Nav Traffic for superior music programming.

...I was actually shocked how much better Sirius music programing is over XM. I was expecting them to be about the same.
I told my dealer that not having Sirius was a show-stopper to closing the deal. He told me they can switch it out (I'm assuming with the Nissan unit) and it can be rolled into the lease cost. Call your dealer.

Now that I'll probably be holding off until mid-January to get my car I'll see where things stand with the merger. It was recently approved by shareholders and is the hands of the FCC.

How do you know the merged company won't carry the station you like? There's one channel I listen to constantly and there's nothing like it on XM so I'm pretty sure it'll make it through the transition.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I have 3 months left on my XM trial subscription. I doubt I will be renewing, because from what I've been reading even after the merger I think their music programing will be separate. Hopefully by then they will have a good conversion method available. IKO, please post back if you learn any more about the XM to Sirius conversion. If it keeps the in-dash integration and uses the XM antenna, I will definitely be doing it.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
for the moment, you can plug into the rca with a sportster, s50 or stilleto, mount the antenna on the speaker deck.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM
iko

This question has been asked by many on other forums. Have you checked out a part like this:

http://nissanipod.com/catalog.aspx?s...27588&detail=1
This is the Oem Receiver for the Nissan Vehicles, this plugs into the SAT harness (Most cars Equipped) and allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio right through your OEM Radio, with full control from your Factory head unit.
This is the Exact UNIT that Nissan Puts in at the Port, not an Aftermarket Add on.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
for the moment, you can plug into the rca with a sportster, s50 or stilleto, mount the antenna on the speaker deck.
I have a stilleto and i use it to play stored content only, no live sat radio. I have a car dock that I used in my old car, but I don't think it would look good in my G. I'll have to convert the XM to Sirius or just live without sat radio. IMO, XM is so bad compared to Sirius that I would rather just not have sat radio.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iko
This question has been asked by many on other forums. Have you checked out a part like this:

http://nissanipod.com/catalog.aspx?s...27588&detail=1
This might work, but I would like to know that someone actually used it on a G37 before I try it.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Anyone have any luck with an XM to Sirius Convertion?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a stilleto and i use it to play stored content only, no live sat radio. I have a car dock that I used in my old car, but I don't think it would look good in my G. I'll have to convert the XM to Sirius or just live without sat radio. IMO, XM is so bad compared to Sirius that I would rather just not have sat radio.
why don't you just use an rca to mini and plug it into the rca port in the center console? i don't know if there is a plug for an antenna on the stilleto's, but the s50 i have does plug into a roof mount antenna (i ran the wire out of the back of the console, under the seat, inside the sillplate, hidden along the back seat, and onto the speaker deck) it works fine and the s50 sits in the armrest compartment.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
boyah

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
why don't you just use an rca to mini and plug it into the rca port in the center console? i don't know if there is a plug for an antenna on the stilleto's, but the s50 i have does plug into a roof mount antenna (i ran the wire out of the back of the console, under the seat, inside the sillplate, hidden along the back seat, and onto the speaker deck) it works fine and the s50 sits in the armrest compartment.
how did u run the power for the s50?

Quick Reply: Convert XM to Sirius?