Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

CD? Navi and without

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Memphoman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CD? Navi and without

Dealer is telling me that without Navi, still have a 6pk changer, but, with Navi, only single disk?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have Navi you get an in-dash CD player with a 6 CD Changer in the trunk, but if you don't have Navi, you get an in-dash 6 CD Changer.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
pensfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a source for that trunk changer info? I can't find any mention of it in the owner's manual or the service manual.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by pensfan
Do you have a source for that trunk changer info? I can't find any mention of it in the owner's manual or the service manual.
My apologies bro, I thought I was replying to a thread over on G35Driver. The information I posted is accurate on the 07 Sedan, however I am not sure about the G37. I hope someone will correct me if the that info is incorrect on the G37.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
pensfan

No problem I've got a six-disc changer behind my rear seats, so I don't like the idea of losing the in-dash six-disc changer for the Nav package's single-feed player/MusicBox/CF slot combo. I was wondering if I'd gone crazy and completely missed all references to a trunk changer Oh well, I guess I've been using the iPod more and more, anyway . . . and the navigation and voice features seem excellent.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
drh

With the Navi, you get the 9.3 MB hard drive, no 6-disc CD changer. I guess Infiniti is assuming that if you have the Navi (with the hard drive) you can record 100+ CDs and not have a need for a CD changer. I picked up my G37 last Thur and have already ripped 30 CDs. I love this feature - no longer carrying CDs in the car. And it records CDs very fast - 8 - 10 minutes per CD. I usually record two of them on the way to work.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ So does that mean that with the Navi on the G37 you lose the 6 CD Changer in the back?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:41 PM
drh

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ So does that mean that with the Navi on the G37 you lose the 6 CD Changer in the back?
I believe so. I got the 6MT with Navi - no 6 CD changer in the back. But again, I don't care - I'm ripping all my CDs to the hard drive.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by drh
I believe so. I got the 6MT with Navi - no 6 CD changer in the back. But again, I don't care - I'm ripping all my CDs to the hard drive.
Ok cool, thanks for the info. I've have mine for almost a year now and haven't used the trunk mounted CD Changer one single time. It's been just a waste of space for me and I wish they didn't decide to put back there. Oh well.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yes, if you have Nav you lose the 6 disk change capability.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Memphoman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess they R finally seeing the light as far as the problematic 6pack changers R concerned. Does anyone know if lossless formats will play from the HD? or just wma's or mp3's?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
drh

Originally Posted by Memphoman
Guess they R finally seeing the light as far as the problematic 6pack changers R concerned. Does anyone know if lossless formats will play from the HD? or just wma's or mp3's?
You can only rip from the CD player to the hard drive. So, whatever format commercial CDs are in is what is acceptable for ripping to the hard drive. You can't move songs from iPOD or CF card to the hard drive. I plan on getting around that by burning a CD with whatever songs I want and then ripping the CD to the hard drive.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Memphoman
Does anyone know if lossless formats will play from the HD? or just wma's or mp3's?

No way to get em onto the HDD, as the previous poster confirmed. The CF card will do mp3s or wma, so says the manual. Haven't tried wma, but I've done plenty of mp3s. You can choose between two bit rates for recording, I think the default is the high one of 138kbps.

Also, there is a song limit on the CF card, 512 IIRC (from the manual). Also, for the HDD there's a song limit of 3000 I think.

It has a CD DB on there, so most of my older CDs it picked up the artist/album/track info. For the newer releases I keyed some of them in manually. Anyone know if we're going to be able to update the CDDB.txt?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the CD player also support at least mp3 playback?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ghideon
No way to get em onto the HDD, as the previous poster confirmed. The CF card will do mp3s or wma, so says the manual. Haven't tried wma, but I've done plenty of mp3s. You can choose between two bit rates for recording, I think the default is the high one of 138kbps.

Also, there is a song limit on the CF card, 512 IIRC (from the manual). Also, for the HDD there's a song limit of 3000 I think.

It has a CD DB on there, so most of my older CDs it picked up the artist/album/track info. For the newer releases I keyed some of them in manually. Anyone know if we're going to be able to update the CDDB.txt?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the CD player also support at least mp3 playback?
Ya, the cd player is suppose to support mp3 playback.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
drh

Somewhere in the manual a procedure is explained for getting updated title/track info off the internet. I tried it and it worked perfectly. You put a CF card in the CF slot, then there is an option for creating a file on the CF card - the file contains info about CDs in the Music Box that don't have title/track info. You then put the CF card into your PC, go to an Infiniti website, download a program, and run the program. The program probably looks at a more current Gracenote database. The title/track info is then copied to the CF card. Put the CF card back in the CF slot in the car, pick the appropriate Music Box option, and wham, the title/track info now shows up. It took me about 10 minutes to do this for two CDs in the Music Box that didn't have title/track info. Saved me from having to type in all the title/track info for two CDs. Worked great.

Quick Reply: CD? Navi and without