Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Music box ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, remember that the songs are compressed (can't remember right now what the exact codec is).

I have a little more than 30 CDs on mine, and it's not even close to full (less than a third maybe?). The limit is 3000 songs or 9.3GB, which ever you hit first.

So, if we figure 20 songs a CD, and 5MB per soundfile, that gives us 100MB per CD. That's about 93CDs, roughly. Maybe someone else can up with with some better numbers. Or, better yet, has anyone filled their HDD up yet?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
upperdecker

Originally Posted by Jee III VII
This may have been answered already but I didn't see it as I scanned this thread.
I have a 4gig CF loaded with 23 Albums that probably average 16-20 tunes each.
I transferred from my computer to the CF via Windows Media Player.
From the player I ripped the albums using 'Windows Media Audio Lossless' mode which is the best quality bitrate (470-940Kbps). The format is .WMF.
Then I 'synched' the files to the CF card.
The files are huge and fit on the 4gig card with about .75gig left over.
It is the best sound that I have in my G37 and I've tried all built-in systems except the iPod.

I know this is an old post that I'm quoting, but has anyone managed to get this to work? I tried to use WMA lossless files using the exact method described above, and the CF interface tells me it's not a recognized file type. I also tried just dragging the files using MS Exporer (rather than synching with the Windows Media Player), but same result.

I am assuming that Jee may have inadvertently been synching high bit rate WMA files--just not the lossless type--particularly as he (she?) indicates that 23 albums fit on a 4GB card with room to spare. I can't see how that's possible with lossless files. Each album would be at least 300 to 400MB, so the math just doesn't work. And the WMA lossy files do indeed play fine for me, just as mp3 files do. Maybe the bit rate is too high on the WMA lossless files?

The only way I can get lossless files to play in the car is to put them on an iPod as WAV or m4a (Apple lossless) files. Anyone ever try that? If so, was there an audible improvement over lossy files (e.g., mp3, wma or apple files)?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I did try a search, but I didn't see this exact topic.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by upperdecker
I know this is an old post that I'm quoting, but has anyone managed to get this to work? I tried to use WMA lossless files using the exact method described above, and the CF interface tells me it's not a recognized file type. I also tried just dragging the files using MS Exporer (rather than synching with the Windows Media Player), but same result.

I am assuming that Jee may have inadvertently been synching high bit rate WMA files--just not the lossless type--particularly as he (she?) indicates that 23 albums fit on a 4GB card with room to spare. I can't see how that's possible with lossless files. Each album would be at least 300 to 400MB, so the math just doesn't work. And the WMA lossy files do indeed play fine for me, just as mp3 files do. Maybe the bit rate is too high on the WMA lossless files?

The only way I can get lossless files to play in the car is to put them on an iPod as WAV or m4a (Apple lossless) files. Anyone ever try that? If so, was there an audible improvement over lossy files (e.g., mp3, wma or apple files)?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I did try a search, but I didn't see this exact topic.

Thanks,

Tom
According to the '09 manual (person you're quoting has an '08 so don't know if it's the same) the max bitrate supported in WMA is 192 kbps. Also remember that the Music Box only supports up to WMA9 version, not the latest.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
TheDuke

Man the music box not letting you store mp3's really sucks. I can't believe there isn't a work around to this flaw, anybody figured one out yet? I thought my salesman said there was a work around but can't remember.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM
rydeh2o

i know this is an old thread, but if its still alive does anyone know if there have been updates to this MusicBox system in regards to integration with a Microsoft Zune HD??
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rydeh2o
i know this is an old thread, but if its still alive does anyone know if there have been updates to this MusicBox system in regards to integration with a Microsoft Zune HD??
As far as I know, no. Only works with CD's.

David