Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Music box ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 PM
SilkeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who like lots of music and don't like swapping compact flash (CF) memory cards, I wonder if the G37 can read the larger size cards? New ones these days come in 2, 4, and 8GB sizes.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by SilkeG
For those who like lots of music and don't like swapping compact flash (CF) memory cards, I wonder if the G37 can read the larger size cards? New ones these days come in 2, 4, and 8GB sizes.
From what I know... the CF slot can only read up to 500 songs per card... which is about 2GB.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 AM
SilkeG

500 songs sounds plenty, even at very high bit-rate and very long songs, 2-4GB is fine. I was wondering what would happen if they stop making 2GB CF cards, some small devices like phones can't read bigger memory cards, but my guess is that since it's a new G37 and space is not really an issue, it probably has bigger memory address capability.

I prefer ripping music onto something portable like CF cards so I can change up the music selection, but at least iPod/iPhone is an option if compatible CF availability becomes an issue, that's the nice thing about many choices. Btw, I'm not predicting the demise, I just like to think ahead ... well too far ahead heh heh.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM
nemoid

Originally Posted by Yimbie
From what I know... the CF slot can only read up to 500 songs per card... which is about 2GB.
it's more of the other way around.... i'm assuming that the firmware on the system can only support up to 2GB. So it will read all 2GB, that being 200 songs, or 1000... the 2gb = 500 songs is just an approximation
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nemoid
it's more of the other way around.... i'm assuming that the firmware on the system can only support up to 2GB. So it will read all 2GB, that being 200 songs, or 1000... the 2gb = 500 songs is just an approximation
Actually the system only supports up to 512 files on a CF card, regardless of the CF card size. If you load 513 files, it will only read the first 512. There is a maximum of 255 folders supported as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 AM
nemoid

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Actually the system only supports up to 512 files on a CF card, regardless of the CF card size. If you load 513 files, it will only read the first 512. There is a maximum of 255 folders supported as well.
really? that is interesting. Has this been tested or is it what is specified by Infiniti?

I wonder how easily hackable this system will be. Wouldn't be surprised if you could bootload linux and work from there.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

really? that is interesting. Has this been tested or is it what is specified by Infiniti?

I wonder how easily hackable this system will be. Wouldn't be surprised if you could bootload linux and work from there.
It's in the Infiniti manuals and has been tested as well. I carry two 2GB CF cards with me, so I haven't found it an issue to be honest.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
nemoid

It's in the Infiniti manuals and has been tested as well. I carry two 2GB CF cards with me, so I haven't found it an issue to be honest.
interesting. I wonder if they'd issue some kind of update to support 4/8gb cards.

Anyways, I probably wont use the CF card slot at all. If I do, it'd be to try to get Linux working on the car.

Do we know where the HDD is located?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

interesting. I wonder if they'd issue some kind of update to support 4/8gb cards.

Anyways, I probably wont use the CF card slot at all. If I do, it'd be to try to get Linux working on the car.

Do we know where the HDD is located?
4GB and 8GB CF cards are supported, you just can't use them to their full capacity. If you had 512 songs loaded on your CF card with an average of 4 minutes per song, that is still over 34 hours of continuous music. That's definitely good enough for me.

The hard drive is part of a larger A/V control unit that houses the hard drive, satellite radio tuner, cf card funtionality, display unit, etc. It is located directly behind the radio/CD player.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
nemoid

4GB and 8GB CF cards are supported, you just can't use them to their full capacity. If you had 512 songs loaded on your CF card with an average of 4 minutes per song, that is still over 34 hours of continuous music. That's definitely good enough for me.

The hard drive is part of a larger A/V control unit that houses the hard drive, satellite radio tuner, cf card funtionality, display unit, etc. It is located directly behind the radio/CD player.
sounds like it'll be fun to play around with. that's stupid you can't use them to their full capacity though.

i'll just stick with my ipod/ripping
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there's a guy in the 2007 sedan section that took his HD/Nav unit out and started tinkering with it. i haven't been keeping up with it, but it may be worth searching and PM'ing him to find out what he's discovered.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 PM
WellBelowH2O

Now is it a 512 song limit overall, or if I have 2 folders, each with 512 songs will it read that number of songs in each folder? I was thinking of picking up a large CF card, but if it'll only do about 2gigs, then there's no point in getting a high capacity card.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by WellBelowH2O
Now is it a 512 song limit overall, or if I have 2 folders, each with 512 songs will it read that number of songs in each folder? I was thinking of picking up a large CF card, but if it'll only do about 2gigs, then there's no point in getting a high capacity card.
512 files total. That's the reason why I have two 2GB cards and not one larger card.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

^ And what music options to have in your 9 year old Maxima.....casette maybe?? For someone that likes to talk **** here, you'd think your driving a $75k car. Move along little boy.
Haha, glad you asked.

I've had one of these in my '98 Maxima since 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car_and_Rio_Car
http://www.kernelthread.com/empeg/

I upgraded to two 60GB drives a few years ago so yeah, 120GB of music. It will support 200GB or more I believe now. It was way ahead of its time and is still a pretty advanced and effective mp3/wma/ogg vorbis music player.. The feature set is huge, and performance even better. It also has a lot of custom written software/add-ons/hacks etc if you like that kind of stuff.

I just read how the CF on the SOW has limits. WTF? This is 2008 and they can't even come close to the 25,000 songs I have in my setup.. I guess not a lot of other carmakers can either, so I'll ease up on knocking Infiniti, but it isn't like it was very hard to do something better.

As for my $75,000 car, I put a deposit down this past Saturday for the Nissan GT-R and got in writing that I will get the first one received by the dealership at MSRP.. I hope it isn't $75K but will still buy it if it is.. I just hope its stereo has an iPod connector...

I wanted to like the G37 but it hugely disappointed me..

Last edited by jnmunsey; 08-21-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Well like I said I am coming from an in-car mp3 solution that blows doors on anything else offered today(with a few exceptions finally)...and it was made in 1999!!!

9.5GB is insulting. The original Empeg built in 1999 offered 4GB to 12GB drives, and by 2000 they STARTED at 10GB and went up to 60GB... 8 years later and the best Infiniti can do is 9.5GB??

Playing off of mp3s and Compact Flash doesn't cut it. It is better than the ripping to hard drive solution but it doesn't address the playlist issue and has ridiculous limitations.

Once they added the iPod dock it became a moot point though. Now it works the way it should.. I hope the same holds true for the GT-R when I get mine. Sorry the Dodge Challenger is no longer going to be my car...

Oh and I am still here because I have been here for some time going back a year while waiting for the MY07 G35. I still my get the '08 sedan if the MT has been improved and my Maxima gives out(My GT-R will not be a daily driver).

Also Yimbie's obnoxious "enthusiasm" REQUIRES a devil's advocate...

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Wow Shane.. I never thought you would actually say that in a post. Well at least you feel the same way that I do.

I find it funny that people are bitching about Infiniti's SOW system and about them not giving enough.

Last edited by jnmunsey; 08-21-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Music box ??