Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Music box ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:19 PM
tomcatm

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So is the 9.3GB HD solely for the music or is that shared with the Nav maps and data. If the latter is true, which I think is the case, you have a paltry 4 something GB for the rest of of your crap. Even GM is offering 40GB HDs on their crap nowadays. Anyways Id prolly just stick to the CF and XM for music personally.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hard drive is 30gig, however after all of the voice recognition and Navi map data, you've got 9.3 gig left for music.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
No, you'll only be able to rip music to the MB via the in-dash CD player. And you won't be able to rip MP3 either, it will need to be audio CD format. The interface is easy to use. You can play music on the MB by artist, date ripped, type of music, etc. All this can be done via voice commands too. The MB isn't 100% perfect but I really enjoy having it.
Hah, until the iPod interface it wasn't even 50% perfect. The idea of "ripping" CDs into the box and not being able to upload your own songs is utterly ridiculous, and was a significant reason I passed on the '07 G35. The way SOW works with MP3s is a mix-mash of poor ideas thrown together. Now at least you can use an iPod, though I am ticked there isn't an interface for other portable devices such as the Zune, but few if any car stereos are yet to offer an alternate connector. I wish there was a standardized connector so we could have a choice.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ And what music options to have in your 9 year old Maxima.....casette maybe?? For someone that likes to talk **** here, you'd think your driving a $75k car. Move along little boy.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

^ And what music options to have in your 9 year old Maxima.....casette maybe?? For someone that likes to talk **** here, you'd think your driving a $75k car. Move along little boy.
Wow Shane.. I never thought you would actually say that in a post. Well at least you feel the same way that I do.

I find it funny that people are bitching about Infiniti's SOW system and about them not giving enough. It's one of the most, if not the most, versatile music car systems in its class and price range. It offers CD play (which I believe will be going out eventually), a 9.3gb hard drive that you can rip music to (the only other thing like this that I know of is the Mercedes C-class) which only offers 4GB, a compact flash slot that can play up to 500 songs on one card, and iPod integration (which is very well done). What do cars like the BMW 335i, Lexus IS, Mercedes C-class, Acura TL-S, and other cars in competition offer compared to Infiniti's SOW system? Pretty much a CD changer and iPod integration, excluding the C-class's 4gb hard drive.

So much whining about I believe the most versatile car stereo systems right now about it not being versatile enough or not "good" enough at playing or taking in certain formats of music. How many car companies will offer integration of other devices? None until the other MP3 players like Creative Zen Vision: M, Microsoft Zune, and Toshiba Gigabeat actually gain market share against Apple's "dominating" iPod.

I wonder what great music system the Dodge would have... woohoo! CD changer and iPod integration! (as seen with many car companies today)
Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Wow Shane.. I never thought you would actually say that in a post. Well at least you feel the same way that I do.

I find it funny that people are bitching about Infiniti's SOW system and about them not giving enough. It's one of the most, if not the most, versatile music car systems in its class and price range. It offers CD play (which I believe will be going out eventually), a 9.3gb hard drive that you can rip music to (the only other thing like this that I know of is the Mercedes C-class) which only offers 4GB, a compact flash slot that can play up to 500 songs on one card, and iPod integration (which is very well done). What do cars like the BMW 335i, Lexus IS, Mercedes C-class, Acura TL-S, and other cars in competition offer compared to Infiniti's SOW system? Pretty much a CD changer and iPod integration, excluding the C-class's 4gb hard drive.

So much whining about I believe the most versatile car stereo systems right now about it not being versatile enough or not "good" enough at playing or taking in certain formats of music. How many car companies will offer integration of other devices? None until the other MP3 players like Creative Zen Vision: M, Microsoft Zune, and Toshiba Gigabeat actually gain market share against Apple's "dominating" iPod.

I wonder what great music system the Dodge would have... woohoo! CD changer and iPod integration! (as seen with many car companies today)
I couldn't have said it better
Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
nogoodname
Banned

When the iPod is connected to the car through the iPod integration, does it also give some power to the iPod itself, because the iPods do die out fast. this wouldn't be good if it happened during a road trip.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 PM
GoofyG

LMAO!!
you are usually so proper. good to see that you still are a good judge of people.

on a more serious note. would someone explain to us non-techy folk, the difference between ripping a cd in the car and the compact flash slot? can you download music from your computer to the card and insert it to the car??
I'm Lost
Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by GoofyG
LMAO!!
you are usually so proper. good to see that you still are a good judge of people.

on a more serious note. would someone explain to us non-techy folk, the difference between ripping a cd in the car and the compact flash slot? can you download music from your computer to the card and insert it to the car??
I'm Lost
Ok... lets start with the compact flash slot. You can download music files at certain bit-rate (I'm just assuming you know what that means) onto a compact flash card (I would recommend just getting a 2GB SanDisk... prominent company that makes great cards). That CF card that has the music on it can be put into the CF slot and you can thus play music directly from the system. All of the explanations and guidelines are in the G37 manual so you should read that. What I stated is a very, very brusque explanation on it, hehe.

Ok... lets start with the CD. If you have any REGULAR CD (CDs that you buy at stores) and want to rip the music into the hard drive... you just insert the CD into the CD slot and click the "Rip Music" or whatever button. For a little while, the hard drive will take the music from the CD and store it in the hard drive. You can do this with tons of CDs until the hard drive is completely full.

I hope that explains that. Be sure to read the manual of the G37 to get a complete understanding on how these work.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

LMAO!!

I'm Lost
LOL. I just don't understand why someone that clearly doesn't like the and has no intentions of buying it sticks around the forum and talks crap about it. I think I'll go hang out at a Neon forum and dis their everyday.

To answer your question though........you can load audio CDs into the in-dash CD player and transfer them to the Music Box. That way, once the CD is loaded into the Music Box, you'll never need to carry that CD in your car again. With the CF card, you just drag and drop MP3s from your computer to the CF card (via memory card reader) and then play them in your car. Does that help?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Hmmm... does anyone know which car company first applied (and maybe thought) of the idea of having a hard drive in a car and storing music in it? I think that Infiniti first came out with it as I have only seen it in their cars until I saw the 2008 Mercedes C-class.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ Yep, I am almost positive Infiniti was the first. The upcoming Caddy CTS will offer it as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

^ Yep, I am almost positive Infiniti was the first. The upcoming Caddy CTS will offer it as well.
Ahh... the Japanese and their technology... I love them.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
GoofyG

Boy, do I feel stupid.

I think I'm with you guys.
So If I wat to download MP3 files I'll need to buy a CF (not sure what cf stans for) reader? I'm assuming it is hardware that connects to a computer via usb ports?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Boy, do I feel stupid.

I think I'm with you guys.
So If I wat to download MP3 files I'll need to buy a CF (not sure what cf stans for) reader? I'm assuming it is hardware that connects to a computer via usb ports?
CF = Compact Flash

Yeah, you'll need a memory card reader....but they are really cheap. I bought mine off of eBay for $3. And you are correct, it just connects to your PC via USB.

Quick Reply: Music box ??