Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review AMR Engineering Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Sylo
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
AMR Engineering Coilovers Review

Finally, AMR Engineering came through with coilovers that are specifically designed for the G37x and so the wait is now over. This is my first review so take it easy on me. Many people have hard time bashing on a product they spent thousands of dollars on, especially products that they want to believe are perfect. I will try to provide an honest review here about everything I can think of regarding the product from packaging to installation to handling and ride quality.

Packaging:
Excellent packaging in my opinion. The coilovers came in double boxed and bubble wrapped for protection, which really helped protecting the coilovers from the USPS’ bad handling. Package weighed 40lb.

Name:  bceda62f-75b5-47e0-ab83-4e0676655d70.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2589.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  112.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2596.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  93.2 KB

Machining:
These coilovers are machined with stunning precision. I have to say, hands down, the best machining I have ever seen. All the edges are sharp and flow incredibly smooth. I actually spent hours just looking at the machine work and trying to find flaws but could not. AMR Engineering uses Hyperco springs with spring stiffness according to your need. Mine were 650 F/450 R.
Enjoy the eye candy below!

Name:  IMG_2420.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  95.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2423.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2422.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  86.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2425.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  72.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2451.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  59.9 KB

Installation:
The install took about half a day because we ran into a problem. The rear spring top isolator did not sit in the spring mount as there are three tabs to hold the oem isolator and the top isolator is too small. see below:

Name:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  86.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2649.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  43.6 KB

I talked to Andy at AMR Eng. about the problem but he did not have a solution at that time. Later next day, Andy told me there was supposed to be a cutout template for the top isolator supplied with the package, which I did not receive. We decided to hammer those tabs and install the rear spring. I feel really disappointed that the top isolator did not come precut. I thought this product was specifically designed for the G37x. How can such problem not be accounted for?
Other than that, the installation was a direct fit.

Ride Height:
I chose to lower the car only minimally as I need my car to be drivable at heavy snow conditions. Originally, the ride height from the ground to the top of the fender was 28.75” but now I stand at 27.5” which is 1.25” lower than stock height. This is a mild drop yet the car looked more aggressive. My friends were able to notice the drop. It is more prominent in person than in pictures. This is probably the least drop you can get from the coilovers, the most would be an extra 2.5” drop, which should completely get rid of the wheel gap.

Before:
Name:  IMG_2565.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  99.1 KB
After:
Name:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2670.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  105.8 KB

Handling:
After putting more than 100 miles on the coilovers I have to say, handling improved drastically! I won’t say ten folds, but about two to three times. I can easily corner at higher speeds without my car oversteering, the car feels like it is glued to the road. Body roll has diminished and you cannot feel it at all. My camber values are -1.4 LF, -1.8 RF, -2.4 for both left and right rear. My toe is within spec. I am still debating whether to get a camber kit or not. And if so, which brand would fit the X model.

Ride Quality:
This is the part everyone is waiting for. Obviously the ride quality is what you sacrifice for improved handling. I have the damping set in the middle. I can feel almost every small bump on the road, uneven roads become more notable. Personally I don’t mind the stiffer ride but the noise, oh the noise. With an oem setup, the rear spring makes so much noise it is uncomfortable to drive without loud music. There is a clacking sound, it sounds like something loose in the trunk. This noise occurs on uneven roads, which are pretty much all roads. I went to the suspension shop twice to identify the source which we speculated to be the spring hitting the height adjustment ring so we increased the preload but to no avail. I think the sound is either coming from the spring hitting the height adjustment ring since there is no isolator between them or the tabs hitting the car body. I will try my best to fix this issue.

Update 10/22/13:
Good news and bad news. The good news is I got my SPC front and rear cambers kits installed and everything is spec with current ride height at 26.8" all around. Bad news is that even after cutting out the top isolator and bending the tabs back to the way they were the sound in the rear did not disappear. I am now sure that the metal to metal contact between the spring and the height adjustor is causing the noise. I will try and get some bushings to reduce the noise. once I get them installed, I will update this post.

I hope this helps anyone trying to get these coilovers for their G37X. I will update this thread if anything happens.
Hal

Last edited by Sylo; 10-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sylo:
blnewt (10-06-2013), callmesteve (10-11-2013), Emillion45 (10-07-2013), Jethro (10-23-2013), sneakers (10-08-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice review, great pics as well. I would definitely get camber arms, the SPC is what I have and they've been good, not sure but they should also fit the X. You really can't give a totally accurate ride review until your alignment is a bit tighter IMO, at that point I think you'll really like the drive.

The X seems to have a different rear upper spring pad, mine didn't have those clips for the rubber spring cones. Too bad you had issues w/ the fit w/ those clips, I guess that's the price you pay for being one of th efirst to give these a shot.

As far as the noise, this is one of the cons of coilovers, that thin little rubber washer between the rear height collar and the upper spring pad just isn't sufficient to absorb much shock. I bought some Energy suspension bushings to go between the top of the spring to rest under the adjustment nut but haven't gotten around to installing them yet, I'm hoping one less metal to metal contact point may help quite a bit.

Unless you need that extra camber to tuck your wheels in the fender I'd shoot for spec both front & rear, your tires will thank you and I think you'll have a better overall drive.

BTW, you're right, the quality of those COs looks real good!
What was the cost for the coilover set?

Last edited by blnewt; 10-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sylo (12-29-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Good review and demonstrations of pros and cons. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Ryno23

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice review! Glad to see more options for us X guys.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Sylo
Registered Member

@blnewt
Can you tell me the part number or the bushing you bought, i might buy them if they fit. Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylo
@blnewt
Can you tell me the part number or the bushing you bought, i might buy them if they fit. Thanks
Here's a link to the bushings, best to just measure for your exact fit, I ordered a bit blindly and they're off a bit, so if I end up doing this I may re order ones that are a perfect fit
Energy Suspension Parts - Coil Sping Isolators
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the review. Glad you were willing to be one of the first.

Are you sure your suspension noise is not due to the rear spring top isolator issue? What did Andy say is the solution for that? I hope the next kits out will have that issue resolved.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Sylo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's a link to the bushings, best to just measure for your exact fit, I ordered a bit blindly and they're off a bit, so if I end up doing this I may re order ones that are a perfect fit
Energy Suspension Parts - Coil Sping Isolators
Thanks for the link. I'll need to take some measurements.

Originally Posted by Jethro
Thanks for the review. Glad you were willing to be one of the first.

Are you sure your suspension noise is not due to the rear spring top isolator issue? What did Andy say is the solution for that? I hope the next kits out will have that issue resolved.
I'm planning on getting that checked. According to Andy, there should be a cutout template for the top isolator, which I did not get.

I'll update my post if anything new comes up.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM
callmesteve
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was waiting for an honest review, thanks a lot Sylo!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:41 PM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Sylo, were you able to correct the noise?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Sylo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AZNnite
Hey Sylo, were you able to correct the noise?
Not yet, I will work on the tabs/clips and maybe install the camber kit this Friday.
I'll update my post once I am done.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Sylo
Registered Member

I updated the first post. Unfortunately, even after working on the tabs/clips, the noise is still present!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmmm, sorry to hear that, Sylo. Hope you can get it straightened out.

Has anyone else installed these yet? Having similar problems or none at all?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 AM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
andy was a nightmare to deal with on my g20 forum but the coils are indeed nice
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Andy is currently working on a improved top isolator for the rear springs.

I am waiting for Voodoo to release the front camber set-up so that I can install everything at once.

Quick Reply: Review AMR Engineering Coilovers Review