Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ipod interface and 4th gen Ipods

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 AM
jumbo_kris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod interface and 4th gen Ipods

I own a 2008 G37S with nav and tech packages. The car is awsome in all aspects except for one I just can charge my 4th gen ipod thru the ipod interface. Does anyone else find this annoying?
My friend just bought a new 2009 BMW 328i and he can charge the same ipod with his car, It pisses me off everytime he points it out.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Thrillhouse

Why not? I'm using a 3rd gen ipod in mine. Charges just fine. Maybe the cable just isn't fully seated?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ It's a known issue with 4G iPod and iPhone 3G. Get a Scosche passPORT if you want it to charge.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 AM
jumbo_kris

Wow! that is cool. I didnt know about this product.
I am going to the apple store first thing tomorrow morning
Thanks a lot Psych
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Thrillhouse

The 4th gen ipod is from 2004 and still supported all the older charging modes. Why would it be incompatible?

Or are we talking about a 4th gen Nano?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my Scosche pass PORT a few weeks ago.. works great!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 AM
NACZ3

This charging incompatibility issue with the 4th Gen Nanos, 2nd gen Ipod Touch, an the Iphone 3gs is documented in a TSB dated Jan 9, 2009. It refers to using an adapter like the Scosche Passport. No updated cable yet.

ITB09-003 (from Infinitihelp.com TSB section)
SERVICE INFORMATION
Please be aware that a recent design change was made by Apple to their iPod® and iPhone® products. As a
result of this change, some customers may report that their iPod®/iPhone® device does not charge
while connected to the Infiniti Interface System for iPod®.
The Infiniti Interface System for iPod® was designed to charge the customer’s iPod® with a 12-volt power
source, which has been supported by all Apple iPod® and iPhone® devices until the latest generation. After
Apple’s design change, these new devices only support charging via a 5-volt source, which the Interface
System does not provide. Customers may see error messages on the device screen, or notice that the device’s
battery discharges while connected to their vehicle’s interface system. Please note that while charging may not
be supported, playback and control through the vehicle’s audio system are still available.
Compatible Devices:
All Apple devices that support charging via a FireWire® connection are compatible with the Infiniti Interface
System for iPod®. These include:
• iPod® Classic – 1st through 6th generation
• iPod® Mini – 1st through 2nd generation
• iPod® Nano – 1st through 3rd generation
• iPod® Touch – 1st generation
• iPhone® - 1st generation
NOTE: Refer to the vehicle Owner’s Manual for further Infiniti Interface System Information.
Non-compatible devices (as of 12/8/2008):
• iPhone® 3G
• iPod® Nano (4th generation)
• iPod® Touch (2nd generation)

Infiniti is working closely with Apple to ensure full compatibility with our future Interface Systems, but as Apple’s
change was made without adequate notification to Infiniti, at this time there is no plan to modify the current
Interface Systems for the 2009 model year.
Please make customers aware that there are products available in the aftermarket designed to reduce the 12V
power source to 5V and should enable their device to charge while connected to their vehicle. A few examples
are provided below, however, Infiniti expects these types of aftermarket solutions to become even more widely
available considering that Apple’s change has impacted the charging ability of many automotive OEM’s iPod®
integration systems.
Aftermarket Solutions:
PLEASE NOTE: Infiniti has not tested any of these aftermarket solutions and makes no endorsement,
warranty, or guarantee of performance or compatibility for any specific third party accessory. These devices
are advertised by their respective manufacturers to resolve 12V to 5V charging issues, but have not been
designed for or tested with Infiniti vehicles.
• Scosche Passport - http://www.scoschepassport
• CableJive Charge Converter - http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html
• Ridax Charge Converter - http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm?connipod.htm
Customer Service:
For further questions and comments, customers may always feel free to contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs at
1-800-662-6200.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
DG37

Make fun of his car. 328's are gay.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
The 4th gen ipod is from 2004 and still supported all the older charging modes. Why would it be incompatible?

Or are we talking about a 4th gen Nano?
Right, I should've been more specific. All current generation iPods won't charge.
The following users liked this post:
vannatte (09-15-2017)
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Retromoe

If your 3rd generation charges, how come mines doesn't? =\