Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
wessg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV

Well from searching these boards i found so many conflicting stories if Sirius would work in a 2008 G37 or not.....

So here it is!!!

I have a 2008 G37S without NAV. All you have to do is get the Sirius tuner and replace the XM with it and your good to go, its that easy!!!!

I got my from Grubbs which is advertised on here:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=2905

Kit comes with more than you need! Sticky tape pads, etc etc,,,but no antenna (i'll get to that later)

All you have to do is take out the trunk mat, the spare tire. From this point it is easiest to take out the black plastic molding that is towards the front of the tire well area(where back seat meets trunk), the part that is held down by 4-5 black round clips, these clips also hold the carpet, some of them anyways. Once they are out, pull that piece directly towards the back of the car, there are two white clips holding that in place, they will pop when you pull. Then remove the black right side plastic in the trunk area by pulling towards the left side working it free. (OH you need to take the one nut out as seen in my pics attached, and there are two spikes sticking up to work around.).

Once that is done, its easy! Just take off that top box, and the XM is under it, you also DO NOT NEED AN ANTENNA FROM SIRIUS. Do NOT BUY ONE, you don't need it! (i did based on folks recomendations on here)

Since the plug for the antenna(pink) for XM doesn't fit into the size of the pastic clip on the Sirius, just cut apart the pink plastic housing(on plug for antenna comming from car), if you look at the XM and Sirius tuner the only thing different is the housing, the inside connector is the same. IT WORKS! so no extra antenna needed for Sirius!

Simply plug it all in and put all pieces back, and wallah, you have Sirius fully integrated!!!

the in Dash CD changer still works and all is just like with XM.

Hope this helps anyone unsure of how to do this. There seemed to be much confusion on here about this, and so many folks said you need an antenna and that it wouldn't work, but I am here to tell you it does!!! :-)

Good luck!!!

cw
Attached Thumbnails XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-xm-radio.jpg   XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-xm-uncovered.jpg  
Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great diy, i'm thinking of switching to sirius too. xm is pretty boring
Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 AM
bfranks

Could have sworn I posted step by step instructions on how to do this with non nav cars months ago. Maybe that was only over on g35driver

Glad it worked for you. It's a very simple conversion, and well worth the money in my opinion
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 AM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks for the thread. Can you confirm the part number. Grubbs site does lend to the confusion by stating that you need a changer in the trunk. Just want to double check and order / search for the same part number that you in fact used.

-overly cautious
Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 AM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/177715-sirius-in-08-g37-works.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/183356-sirius-installed-and-working.html
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM
wessg37s

grubbs link

Its the link in my original posting up above, that is the exact part I ordered.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
HamstersG

Channel info display and all sirius features work?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
wessg37s

Yup just like XM. Cant' believe it was that easy!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 PM
HamstersG

Thanks. Just got my G and was not going to subscribe to XM. Loved the Sirius in GTI. Just ordered mine from Grubbs. Curious if you could tell if new or refurb?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 AM
wessg37s

good question. Assuming its new,,, but can't confirm, looked new.

worked like a charm, so happy, have sirius in my suv and don't like XM. i got excited over the merger, but i cannot get the channels i want on XM from Sirius. Plus i am not paying full price for two satellite radios...

good luck
Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
HamstersG

Just installed mine - here is another suggestion on antenna connection

I received mine today from Grubbs. To answer my earlier questions about new or refurb, I called Grubbs and they said it was new. The box was a sealed Nissan kit as OP described with everything needed to do an install in several different model cars.

I attached 4 pictures to help.

1) All removed. The box on top is the voice integration module.
2) With Nubs. This is the back of the Sirius unit. Look closely at the two nubs. This is what prevents the XM antenna attachment from slipping on.
3) With Nubs Cut Off. I took a razor knife and cut off the nubs. Now the XM antenna attachment will slid on and the locking clip will still work and keep it from coming loose.
4) Installed. Sirius unit installed and antenna connected.

Activated, set the channels. Works perfect and fully integrated.
Attached Thumbnails XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-all-removed.jpg   XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-with-nubs.jpg   XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-with-nubs-cut-off.jpg   XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV-installed.jpg  

Last edited by HamstersG; 12-01-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 PM
wessg37s

great pics!

Better post than mine! Nice pics and good idea on the clips...., i rushed mine, was running out of daylight and freezing my *ss off ....Glad it worked for ya!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 PM
HamstersG

BTW, signed up for 1 year subscription for $83. When I checked status it actually gave me 15 months which I am guessing is the free 3 months for new radio? Not really sure. I see on another post that XM is doing 1 year renewals for $77 if you call in and ask. I have a second Sirius radio that is on monthly. I think I will call in and see if I can convert to annual subscription at a lower cost as I can't do that online. Then again, who knows what is going to happen given all the channel line up merger discussion.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 AM
wessg37s

hmm

that is interesting, i don't think i got any free time with this radio....wonder if i am supposed to be getting that.

I just signed up for quarterly and got 2 months free or something like that.

i'll have to check on the yearly gig, that sounds good! thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
LARRY907

Thanks wessg37s and hamdavid for posting pics. They were very helpful. I recently used these thread to install my sirius radio and it was a breeze. Ironically, it took me longer on the phone with Sirius than it did to install the sirius unit. Thanks all for your help.
Larry

Quick Reply: XM changed to SIRIUS, IT WORKS !!!! G37S, no NAV