Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen G37 Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust System Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen G37 Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust System Reviewed

Stillen Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust Review.

Wells Guys... With a couple exhaust systems out... I made my choice and pulled the trigger... I installed the Stillen Dual Exhaust system Yesterday. Here is what I think about it.

1. I was very curious about how it would sound, I did not want a Loud, raspy, droning, Annoying exhaust at all...this is why I was nervous.
2. Install was very strait forward... Instructions were very easy to understand. It was accurate on the every step needed in the install.
3. The exhaust was packed very well. No way it could be damaged during the shipping process.
4. Install was a breeze. It went on in 25-30 minutes.
5. Fitment was perfect. Alot better than the Greddy I had on my maxima.

My thoughts on the look: The tips are nice and shiny. There is No hang down from the mufflers and no threat to scrap even when the car gets lowered.

Start up: Very nervous at this point... I started it up in my car with the door shut first. I thought " WTF " I couldn't tell a difference...I backed it out of the garage and got out to listen to idle.

Idle: When I got to the rear of the car I could hear a Nice Low growl that I had not heard before. It was sitting there saying... Drive me I'm ready to purrrr...

Rev up in car: I get into the car and start to rev it up... a noticeable deeper growl just a smidge louder then stock.

Rev up outside at rear: This tone is very nice. There is not a raspy sound at all. Its a nice Deep Growl. Not loud at all.

Driving with windows up and normal driving: I vaguely heard difference in the audible of the sound. I may not have even known I had aftermarket exhaust.

Driving with windows up at WOT:
It came alive... I could tell that I had an aftermarket exhaust on but not by much.

Driving with windows down and normal driving: You can tell its aftermarket. But under normal driving conditions its not that much louder than stock. Yes its a deeper lovely growl though, it is noticeable.

Driving with windows down at WOT: A deep growl at the lower RPMS until the engine noise took over and was louder than the exhaust.

Drive by outside car:
This is where my mouth dropped. I didn't expect anything like this. It was IMO the perfect sound of a V6 performance engine. You could definitely tell it was Aftermarket but it still had a lil G tone to it. It sounded deeper and a had a little bit louder tone. I am still shocked on how good it sounded. I did not expect it to sound as good as it did.

Driving behind the car: My buddy was loving it. He had nothing but good things to say about it.. So I switched and let him drive. In my head I thought..."Nice... it doesn't sound like a kids muffler on a nice car. It has a Ferrari Porsche feel to it." Meaning that it is a very classy addition to my G.

Over all thoughts- If your going to mod your car and do not want the annoying sound of a Ricer exhaust... This will fit you. I am extremely pleased in the Tone of this. There is No drone at all. I mean NONE. This is perfect for me and I will tell you why. If I keep modding my car... with lets say HFC or Headers... or you get the picture... This exhaust leaves room if you want to add more power and keep it from sounding loud and annoying. I had Full 2.5 exhaust on my Maxima with a Greddy Evo muffler and that sucker sounded good but IT WAS LOUD... LOUD AS ****. It got old very fast. This Exhaust will not be like that in any way. That's why I am excited that I can keep adding stuff to the car and not have a loud annoying car.

My next step will be adding the High Flow Cats which I hope will yield nice power...

Speaking of power....

POWER: I did tell a difference from start in the acceleration. The biggest surprise and feel was normal driving. Lets say I am doing 30MPH in fourth gear and do not feel like dropping to accelerate fast. I pushed the gas and this is where i felt the big difference. The car picked up speed alot faster than it did before the install. It kinda caught me off guard because I was doing 70MPH in no time. Yes there is a power gain that is very noticeable.

I am very pleased with this addition to my G37. It couldn't have turned out any better.

Ill post pics by Saturday....

I will have Video Clips up by Sunday....

EDIT: pics in post 23

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 02-09-2008 at 10:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxToTheG37:
Julian O. (05-21-2020), Vince (09-17-2018)
Old 02-08-2008, 02:54 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice...the stillen duals on my 350Z were great too. i had some drone but it was not annoying and loud (only got louder after the headers and reflash).

post some vids!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good review, i would really like to hear a drive by clip if thats possible.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
override00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything sounds good man, congrats.

One thing you might wanna know though.... its not lout mainly because you still have the stock cat, once you change to a high flow one... its going to get louder... probably even quieter at the beginning,but once you break them in.... its going to get louder, hopefully not that much.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Thanks guys...
Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pics please. I am looking to get new exhaust, intakes and suspension once I get another G37S.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Fantastic review Max! Sounds promising for the type of mods that suit my taste. Did you install yourself or have it done elsewhere? Private shop or dealership?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
G-WIZ KID

It sounds like you even work for Stillen????
Old 02-08-2008, 06:37 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Fantastic review Max! Sounds promising for the type of mods that suit my taste. Did you install yourself or have it done elsewhere? Private shop or dealership?
I had a bud that works at a muffler shop... but I did help..haha a lil...

Originally Posted by G-WIZ KID
It sounds like you even work for Stillen????
Wow how did you know... All the way out here in TN. Guess I need to put that on my profile... lol
Heck no I dont work for them...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^^good you are back, where are our pics lol.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up Ben.

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I had a bud that works at a muffler shop... but I did help..haha a lil...
Do you think it would be easy to do yourself at home now that you know exactly what needs to be done? Could you have done it at home with a couple of car ramps and common hand tools?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
wireboltman

What size pipe was used?
Is it a true dual system?

Thanks-
Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by leeI35G35
^^^good you are back, where are our pics lol.
Saturday... I said Saturday the pics will be up...
Originally Posted by G37RacerX
Nice write up Ben.
Do you think it would be easy to do yourself at home now that you know exactly what needs to be done? Could you have done it at home with a couple of car ramps and common hand tools?
Yes it can. Ramps will work alot better than jacks... but jacks will work too...
All you need is Sockets for the nuts and bolts... a lil WD-40 and umm thats it... It is a true bolt on mod... very easy...

Originally Posted by wireboltman
What size pipe was used?
Is it a true dual system?

Thanks-
Well I am pretty sure... Im not 100% sure what the definition of true exhaust is but ... from the cats its 2 seperate pipes all the way back to the 2 different mufflers.... Does that count? if not tell me the definition...

thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Well I am pretty sure... Im not 100% sure what the definition of true exhaust is but ... from the cats its 2 seperate pipes all the way back to the 2 different mufflers.... Does that count? if not tell me the definition...thanks guys!
Sounds like a true dual system, which is one the first things I'll do when I get the 37. I will have mine custom bent at my local muffler shop, however.

I'm glad to hear you find a noticeable power difference.

Do you know what size pipe was used?
I've checked the Stillen site and the G37 exhaust system isn't there, yet.

I will probably go with 2.5" myself unless I hear of problems with that particular sizing.

Thanks, again.

A sound clip would be great!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
englishman26

What is the estimated (factory stated perhaps) increase in horse-power from something like this?

Quick Reply: Stillen G37 Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust System Reviewed