Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Using ONR

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
chocoholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using ONR

I'm nervous about scratching my car while using ONR as a waterless wash. The car has only accumulated dust and light dirt from being out on the road (no rain or anything), but I can't help but feel like I'm going to scratch the hell out of it when I do this. I'm a newbie with waterless washes. How can this work? Tips?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Hmm I have heared about this no rinse was and have been reluctant to try anything other thanmy traditional method. I wonder what I pro would say about it
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Orbie

I have used ONR for two years on my G35 and now on my G37 I have used it 3 times already. No additional scratches that weren't already from the dealership detailers when I took delivery.

It is a very wierd feeling to use it for the first time though. Make sure you have absolutely clean microfiber towels, one for the wash and one to dry each panel one at a time. Also I like to use the two bucket method to ensure I don't carry over dirt from my car to the clean water. For your first time use lots of ONR solution when you wipe down each panel with minimal pressure. Using a clean microfiber towel just blot the remaining water off. The dry panel should feel almost like it has just been waxed. ONR leaves a slick residue behind.

If your car is very dirty or muddy, I would recommend using a hose to spray extra dirt off the car first. The dirtier your MF towel gets the more frequently you should be rinsing it off, so for very dirty panels you will need to rinse often. Hosing the car off first makes the job a lot easier and minimizes the chance you'll scratch the paint with excess dirt on the towel.

Hopefully that helps, just start off on a small section of the car first to get a feeling for it and once you become more confident in the product you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 PM
KAHBOOM

Thanks Orbie. It looks like I may have to employ this method or else use a professional detailer as we are going into stage 2 restrictions in our area (i.e. no car washing using a hose at home)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 PM
chocoholic

My ONR arrived Friday. I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. We're in emergency water situation here and aren't allowed to water lawns or wash cars.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM
KAHBOOM

cool I'll have to check in with you. I have mine on order as well. I watched a video demo and it seems like it will do just fine. They were washing high end cars on the videos so that makes me feel ok about it. I also did a google search and noticed that a number of peolpe were using it on Mustang forums on black Mustangs with no complaints...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 PM
TK5

I have been using ONR since I got my G37s. I really like it. There are no additional scratches. Just be sure to use clean MF towels. (I picked mine up from Target.)

I haven't used other washes but judging by the number of good things I have read about it and my own experience, ONR rocks.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by chocoholic
My ONR arrived Friday. I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. We're in emergency water situation here and aren't allowed to water lawns or wash cars.
So how did it go chocoholic? another thing I forgot to point out but is a big advantage with ONR is you don't get all the water trapped in the trunk, door jambs, fuel door, side view mirror and windows. Since you're not spraying the car down with water, you have much more control over where the water goes and how much. There's nothing worse then just washing your car, driving it to the drive thru and when you roll your window back up there's huge water streaks all over the place.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
chocoholic

Used ONR yesterday for the first time. It is a REALLY GREAT product. Can't beleive how much easier this will make my life right now (water restrictions) and this winter when it's impossible to wash with a hose. I was very impressed with it and highly recommend it.

1. My car was not terribly dirty and had been washed & waxed a week prior. So the solution was so smooth & easy to work with. It just glided on/over my car effortlessly. If your car is very dirty or hasn't been waxed in a while, make sure to use plenty of solution on your mitt/MF towel as you run it across each panel. You might even add an extra capful of ONR in your bucket on your first time to give you peace of mind.

2. I ended up using the 2 bucket method, although you don't have to. But I was paranoid about marring the finish.

3. As far as I can tell from looking at it (and I looked really hard), I didn't add any swirls or scratches. It truly works. My car was amazing clean. Obviously if you aren't careful, as with ANY type of wash & dry method you use, you'll mar the finish. So just be as careful as you would when you wash & dry the regular way, and you'll be fine.

BTW, it helped that I saw some video demos of the procedure from another forum. I dig up the links if anyone wants them.

ONR rocks!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ links please when you get a chance
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
chocoholic

Here are some demos I found on autopia:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00996428313622
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55946412498290
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83452379827390

Here's the manufacturer's site (but you can find it other places on the net):
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/norinse.html

One other thing: ONR leaves a bit of a sheen on your car. My car looked shinier then after my regular washes. I love it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
KAHBOOM

Thanks for sharing this choc. When I get mine and use it, I will be sure to share the results which looks like it will be good results based on your experience.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM
KAHBOOM

I used ONR over the weekend as we are under full water restriction. Let me first say tha tI used to work for a detail shop (my cousin owns one) and I am quite **** when it comes to ceanign my car properly. If it were not for water restrictions I would be sticking with the traditional manner of cleaning. The car was not dirty- only a little dusty. I used 3 cap fulls-to be extra cautious- and a 1 bucket method. I must say that I was rather impressed. No scratches at all. The entire cleaning took about 20 minutes. I saved a lot of time not having to dry it. I did the wash in my garage.
I used 100% sheepskin mit for cleaning and a microfiber towel for drying.

If your car is extra dirty however, I would suggest spraying the car down first.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by chocoholic
Here are some demos I found on autopia:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00996428313622
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55946412498290
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83452379827390

Here's the manufacturer's site (but you can find it other places on the net):
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/norinse.html

One other thing: ONR leaves a bit of a sheen on your car. My car looked shinier then after my regular washes. I love it.
Sorry dude.. none of those links work.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM
chocoholic

Hmmm. They did before. I know you can find them on the autopia.org site. Search the forums for "ONR" and you should see the string. It's got either "video" or "demo" in the thread title.

Quick Reply: Using ONR