Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Steering Wheel makes knocking sound.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Wheel makes knocking sound.

Not to confuse this with the engine knocking... but my steering wheel makes a knocking sound at parking lot/stopped speed when moving the steering wheel slightly to the left or right. So if I jiggle the steering wheel, it'll be making a "knock knock knock" sound. Does anyone else have this issue?

I just got my 2011 G37S and I don't remember my old 07' G35 doing this so I'm a little bummed out.

I bet I won't be able to reproduce it at the dealer either...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That is not normal. Just get it checked out. If you think you can't reproduce, get a video of the noise for the dealer's viewing pleasure. I've found that works wonders in some cases (for me) where the issue is hard to reproduce - I just carried around my trusty minidv cam, and when the issue popped up, I grabbed some quick audio/video proof.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:07 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah, that for sure isn't normal. i would think that it's a steering rack problem, but you're describing it as a knock from a jiggle??? eek...sorry guy, can't help ya there . i definitely feel for ya though...my clutch assembly was swapped out within the first 3 months of owning my 2010, because the flywheel was seated incorrectly.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like it needs to go to dealer ASAP. good luck with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crap, thanks for the input! I'm gonna go make a call.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
VtecVQ

Originally Posted by Okita240
Not to confuse this with the engine knocking... but my steering wheel makes a knocking sound at parking lot/stopped speed when moving the steering wheel slightly to the left or right. So if I jiggle the steering wheel, it'll be making a "knock knock knock" sound. Does anyone else have this issue?

I just got my 2011 G37S and I don't remember my old 07' G35 doing this so I'm a little bummed out.

I bet I won't be able to reproduce it at the dealer either...
Okita240: I have the same problem. I had a 2007 G35s sedan, and I just got a new 2011 G37s sedan. I'm experiencing a steering wheel problem where if you move it to the left/right, you get a clicking noise. Then if I go over speed bumps, the steering wheel actually feels loose like up and down loose.

I took it to the dealer after having the car for 2 weeks. They kept my car for 3 days, ordered a new rack for my car, installed, and aligned. But now, about two months later, it has returned. It's not as bad as the first time, but it's getting annoying.

Have you been able to resolve anything?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Just had my rack & pinion,with new steering column.
Was explained to me that the teeth on the inside of the rack go bad from potholes.
Especially x models because of the front axle are more likley to have an issue.
Thank god for the warranty.
7k in parts / labor.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
VtecVQ

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Just had my rack & pinion,with new steering column.
Was explained to me that the teeth on the inside of the rack go bad from potholes.
Especially x models because of the front axle are more likley to have an issue.
Thank god for the warranty.
7k in parts / labor.
Did your dealer say there was a TSB? I had a new rack installed too but now a month later it's coming back. I hope you will be better off than me. But I really want a fix fast!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Are folks still having problems with this issue? I thought it was just me until I stumbled across this thread. I'll be sending my car in for service asap!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

FYI, dealer just replaced the clock spring under warranty. I'm only 8k into the vehicle!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had mine only for less than 1500 miles, I noticed this problem but not too loud, should I bring my car in for service? Please advise w3hat exactly should I say to the dealer to have them directly impact the problem and have it resolved? since I will be reproducing the problem at the dealer?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
I had mine only for less than 1500 miles, I noticed this problem but not too loud, should I bring my car in for service? Please advise w3hat exactly should I say to the dealer to have them directly impact the problem and have it resolved? since I will be reproducing the problem at the dealer?
I merely had the service advisor sit in the drivers seat while I duplicated the issue. After the repair I spoke with my uncle who does service for Ford at their corporate office. Apparently clock spring replacement on a new vehicle isn't that out of the ordinary.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM
cardevices

Hello DJ1, can you help me? I have the same problem on my G37 2011 6 MT, with 1600 miles. The problem is that I'm outside the US, I exported the car. Most likely I will have to buy the faulty part and repleace it by myself.
Do you know if the problem is really solved or are they just changing parts to see if it goes out?
can you tell me exactly what part they changed to you?
Thankyou
Andres
Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cardevices
Hello DJ1, can you help me? I have the same problem on my G37 2011 6 MT, with 1600 miles. The problem is that I'm outside the US, I exported the car. Most likely I will have to buy the faulty part and repleace it by myself.
Do you know if the problem is really solved or are they just changing parts to see if it goes out?
can you tell me exactly what part they changed to you?
Thankyou
Andres
So far I think they're just changing parts out since my service advisor said to call him if the sound comes back. Now my uncle with 30+ years of experience said clock springs making noise in new cars isn't a rare occasion, but who knows it could be something else.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
cardevices

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
So far I think they're just changing parts out since my service advisor said to call him if the sound comes back. Now my uncle with 30+ years of experience said clock springs making noise in new cars isn't a rare occasion, but who knows it could be something else.
Thankyou, please let me know thru this way when you know for sure what was the final solution to it.
Andres

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel makes knocking sound.