Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Window Tint - cutting trim required?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
you my friend just paid for sub-par tinting....
+1... Sorry to hear bro! I'd be pissed!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
JohnsG37x

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Went back today to get the windows with trapped dust fixed. They willingly re-did all windows that had dust in it. I would have liked to recommend people to this place, but I just can't. Their service is good, but their tint job just isn't. I've seen some tint jobs on my friends' cars from that place that look pretty good. So hit or miss I guess.?.?

For those in the Philadelphia area, the place is called Shades of Gray.

Pics of the 'trimming'.. Hard to tell on the driver's side. Trimming not as clean on the passenger side.

Driver Rear

Driver Rear

Passenger Rear

Passenger Rear
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by classy37
The way a tint guy explained it to me, this isn't always the best thing. Every car's fit and finish is slightly off, and having a standard cut for all windows won't account for these imperfections. Makes sense, but maybe he was saying this because they didn't do computerized cutting in his shop
really? so the glass on every g37 is different? any time you hear this, it should be interpreted as: "we can't/dont want to pay for a laser cutting system".
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

^dude, i would be livid if someone did that to my car.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM
JohnsG37x

They do have computer cut Llumar tints.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
really? so the glass on every g37 is different? any time you hear this, it should be interpreted as: "we can't/dont want to pay for a laser cutting system".
Not that I need to defend a professional window tinter but...

Sure, the glass is all manufactured to the same size and specifications but the mounting, trim and actual placement of the glass in the track/opening of each individual window can vary.

Additionally, our cars do not have flat windows - they are each curved so any good tinter will use a heat gun to shrink the film to cover the window completely without any wrinkles. It would make sense that if the laser cut the piece of tint and the installer did not shrink the film perfectly semetrical, there would be issues no?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bschurr
Not that I need to defend a professional window tinter but...

Sure, the glass is all manufactured to the same size and specifications but the mounting, trim and actual placement of the glass in the track/opening of each individual window can vary.

Additionally, our cars do not have flat windows - they are each curved so any good tinter will use a heat gun to shrink the film to cover the window completely without any wrinkles. It would make sense that if the laser cut the piece of tint and the installer did not shrink the film perfectly semetrical, there would be issues no?
uhhh...not sure about that. i did work at a tint shop for a summer when i was in college. glass is glass and since they are mass produced, they all have the same shape. also, the heat gun is used to expand the film into curves, not to shrink it. and yes, unless you're talking about bus glass, all automotive glass is curved...better yet have multiple curves.

edit: i'm sure you're guy is good, but no way should a tinting take 2 hours. mine took 30 minutes from start to finish and all the tint lines up perfect. laser cutting also eliminates the possibility of having razor etching on the outside of the windows. this happened on my g35 when i went back to have a quarter glass redone. instead of using the laser cutter, the tinter used the standard method and put three deep razor marks on the outside of my quarter window.

Last edited by speedracer g37; 08-20-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnsG37x
Went back today to get the windows with trapped dust fixed. They willingly re-did all windows that had dust in it. I would have liked to recommend people to this place, but I just can't. Their service is good, but their tint job just isn't. I've seen some tint jobs on my friends' cars from that place that look pretty good. So hit or miss I guess.?.?

For those in the Philadelphia area, the place is called Shades of Gray.

Pics of the 'trimming'.. Hard to tell on the driver's side. Trimming not as clean on the passenger side.

Driver Rear

Driver Rear

Passenger Rear

Passenger Rear
Wow, you're really generous. I would be furious and demanding that they repair my car. That's not "hit and miss" that's such a complete miss it's not even in the same solar system. I've NEVER seen anyone do that and I've seen some really bad tint jobs. That's completely unprofessional.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 AM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet the guy didn't cut it on purpose. He probably f'ed up and cut it accidentally, then tried to trim it up to hide it, then tried to trim the other side to match. Just a guess.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shady as hell.

I would be livid.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
JohnsG37x

You guys are making me get more and more upset over this...

I posted this question over at tintdude.com and the people there seemed to say that cutting is ocassionally done.. But another guy said the G37 is simple and shouldn't require it.. I'm thinking they guy f'ed up and tried to hide it.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnsG37x
You guys are making me get more and more upset over this...

I posted this question over at tintdude.com and the people there seemed to say that cutting is ocassionally done.. But another guy said the G37 is simple and shouldn't require it.. I'm thinking they guy f'ed up and tried to hide it.
Find out what shops those guys work at who said that trimming is sometimes required; I want to make sure I never go there. I've seen a few cars that had really small or narrow 1/4 windows and the tint shop removed the windows, applied the tint, and then put the windows back. That's the way it should be done if a windows is really hard to do.

I'm going to agree with the others, it looks like the guy was trimming the tint and slipped. That's why the one piece was cut on an angle. Then they trimmed the rest to make it match up.

The part that I don't get is why would you need to trim at the bottom of the window? That's the easiest area to apply it; it's just a long straight edge. It's also the widest area of the window.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
JohnsG37x

Here's the tintdude.com forum post.. A lot of conflicting opinions and info.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53921
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
JohnsG37x

Here the tintdude.com forum post.. I'm getting a lot of conflicting info.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53921
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
jdub1107

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard that from the 3 cars that I've had tinted from two different places.

Quick Reply: Window Tint - cutting trim required?