G37 Sedan

Any Major 2009 Sedan problems yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's shifting to lower gear/engine braking. You could use Paddle Shifter to keep up the gear but eventually it drops because not enough RPM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
saltfish

Originally Posted by Keng
It's shifting to lower gear/engine braking. You could use Paddle Shifter to keep up the gear but eventually it drops because not enough RPM.
Ok, thanks, i figured it had something to do with engine breaking but wasn't sure.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
SilverTL05

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the REV matching working as you slow down.

But.. gear hunting is kinda dumb for 7 speed Auto.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup...have several problems I'm going to have to take it in for....

- Auto dimming mirror is not working correctly and glare from cars behind me is blowing me out at times. Very unpredictable behavior...sometimes it works perfect, then will almost shut off 100 yards down the road with the same car behind me. The worst offenses are when it does well when cars are way behind me, then pretty much shuts off as they close the gap at stoplights, etc.

- 7 speed auto has a hard 3-2 downshift between 20-25 mph. It's really acting like a huge engine brake when it does this, and makes modulation of braking nearly impossible. I've never owned or rented any car that was this hard to brake smoothly. The problem is compounded by my nice, big brakes on the S model having immense stopping power added on top of the transmission/engine braking.

- The air conditioning compressor is extremely loud and can be heard from idle up to about 47 mph when the weather is warm. This noise has come on as the weather has gotten warmer and the climate control is kicking in the AC more often. This is the worst noise i've ever had in any car - it sounds like another motor spinning up in conjunction with the engine. Shoot, even my AC compressor on my 97 Maxima with 171K miles is quieter.

- Ipod interface is neurotic. My audio system will occasionally flip from whatever mode it's in (typically radio) to ipod mode when I back the car up. This means I have to switch audio modes back to radio or whatever every time this happens. Very annoying.

I'm going to give them a chance to correct the issues, I'm just ticked that I even have to mess with anything on a car that is this expensive and should be sorted out. I bought this car to make life a little easier, and all it has done is complicate things.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Comiha22

Silver - Those are all really strange issues with the car. The downshift 'issue' seems to be a pretty common thing, but it does level off a bit after break-in. Just part of the sporty feel of the car in my opinion. Best of luck with the rest.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:11 PM
G37xS

2 weeks old car: rough AT on low speed. But I noticed this when driving aggressively or shall I say, more pronounce. It is fine when you are driving it slow/normal and easy. The manual or D/DS mode is not the best but not the worst. But the good thing is, it can be fix by software update. This is my first Infiniti so I don't know if they do some software update on some driving issues.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Comiha22
Silver - Those are all really strange issues with the car. The downshift 'issue' seems to be a pretty common thing, but it does level off a bit after break-in. Just part of the sporty feel of the car in my opinion. Best of luck with the rest.

Thanks! The ipod issue seems to be getting less and less. The other 3 are very aggravating. I am surprised that I'm having these problems...haven't had a problem like the compressor since my '81 Mustang...and that was half way expected at that time. I'm hoping that the break in will sort some of it out since this really is a great car. I'll post an update if the dealer sorts it out.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
AFRaptor22

Has anyone else gotten the CEL coming on all the time. The dealership says it's a "cold start" and that Infiniti is working on a new ECU load. It's pretty freaking annoying, it comes on every 4 days or so no matter what I do.

Other than that the car is great!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AFRaptor22
Has anyone else gotten the CEL coming on all the time. The dealership says it's a "cold start" and that Infiniti is working on a new ECU load. It's pretty freaking annoying, it comes on every 4 days or so no matter what I do.

Other than that the car is great!
Have you checked to make sure your gas cap is on tight?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
AFRaptor22

Yes, it's not an EVAP code, the dealership knows exactly what is throwing it off and they can't fix it...they say it's a bug in the ECU code and Infiniti has to send them a fix.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Herkypilot

Originally Posted by Silver37
Yup...have several problems I'm going to have to take it in for....

- Auto dimming mirror is not working correctly and glare from cars behind me is blowing me out at times. Very unpredictable behavior...sometimes it works perfect, then will almost shut off 100 yards down the road with the same car behind me. The worst offenses are when it does well when cars are way behind me, then pretty much shuts off as they close the gap at stoplights, etc.

- 7 speed auto has a hard 3-2 downshift between 20-25 mph. It's really acting like a huge engine brake when it does this, and makes modulation of braking nearly impossible. I've never owned or rented any car that was this hard to brake smoothly. The problem is compounded by my nice, big brakes on the S model having immense stopping power added on top of the transmission/engine braking.

- The air conditioning compressor is extremely loud and can be heard from idle up to about 47 mph when the weather is warm. This noise has come on as the weather has gotten warmer and the climate control is kicking in the AC more often. This is the worst noise i've ever had in any car - it sounds like another motor spinning up in conjunction with the engine. Shoot, even my AC compressor on my 97 Maxima with 171K miles is quieter.

- Ipod interface is neurotic. My audio system will occasionally flip from whatever mode it's in (typically radio) to ipod mode when I back the car up. This means I have to switch audio modes back to radio or whatever every time this happens. Very annoying.

I'm going to give them a chance to correct the issues, I'm just ticked that I even have to mess with anything on a car that is this expensive and should be sorted out. I bought this car to make life a little easier, and all it has done is complicate things.

Silver,
Just a guess here on the Ipod issue. I've noticed two things with my Ipod Nano. When the car is running and I plug my Ipod into the cable, My radio immediately switches to the Ipod. The second thing is if I leave my Ipod hooked up and turn the car off, the Ipod stays on. My suspicion is the battery is drained, then you start the car, after a few seconds your Ipod gets some juice and the system responds as if you just plugged in your Ipod and switches to it. The fact that you are in reverse maybe just a coincidence that you are backing out of parking spot or driveway???

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Tranny is about the same on the downshift, but maybe Infiniti will give us a new flash in the near future to address this.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Michelangelo

I've had my G37x sedan for almost a week and so far no issues. Just hit 200 miles. No unusual noises, A/C compressor whining, or CEL.

The 2nd gear downshift at 20ish MPH I do notice, but it is not particularly rough. I also haven't found the car difficult to deal with in traffic (and goodness knows we have enough of that here in the Washington DC area). In fact, I find the 7AT shifts very similar to how and when I shift when driving a manual transmission vehicle.

Haven't connected my iPod yet so I don't know how that will go. Still learning everything the car can do on its own without connecting external devices...

All in all, I love the car. It's a tremendous experience just driving to work in the morning. I catch myself looking at my watch and saying, Rainman-like, "27 minutes to Car..."
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
tonke73

The driver's seat belt adjuster does not work and the transmission is rough from 1st to 2nd with 600 miles. Other than that, there are no problems with the G.