Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Igor911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area

Hey guys,

So lately I've been experiencing a squeak or some type of metal tension noise in my headliner area right above the drivers head (around the sun shade).

Mainly the noise happens when going over speed bumps or driving on a rocky/ridged road.

I took the car to my dealer where I purchased my car 4 months back and they inspected my car for 3 days. They claim that what's happening is "body flex" and that they think one of the welds in my car needs to be re-inspected. They advised that they want to send my car to a body shop to be torn apart so the welds get checked.

I personally think this is BS, I told them not to send my car anywhere...last thing I want is someone ripping apart my 46k car with 4,000mi on it. The dealer claimed that they called Infiniti Tech Headquarters and they told them that it's body flex.

Now here is the interesting part --- After I got my car back the other day, the noise got much louder and now even happens when I go over the slightest bump in the road. Now I can even hear the tension when I'm driving with the music on or windows down/sunroof open.

Does anyone else on here have experience with the same type of noise protruding through your headliner? What do you all think it could be? I think it might be a clip that is holding the headliner just rubbing against the metal.

Please help
Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
jab23

Mine does the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Interestingly enough, the first time I heard it, I pressed on the headliner in the spot I thought it was coming from and it sounded like a clip actually popped into place. I thought, okay, it will be better now. It actually got worse. I hear it most any time the car flexes a lot. I'm not sure I'll ever bring it in specifically for this, but if I have to bring it in for the driver seat cusion fix (which I may soon) or anything else, then I'll have them take a look.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Igor911

Well I just called my service guy again and left a VM explaining that the issue got worse.

Waiting to hear back to see what they have to say, I will keep this thread updated.

BTW -- +1 for Nationwide Infiniti of Maryland and Shawn in their service dept, very nice people to deal with.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by Igor911
Well I just called my service guy again and left a VM explaining that the issue got worse.

Waiting to hear back to see what they have to say, I will keep this thread updated.

BTW -- +1 for Nationwide Infiniti of Maryland and Shawn in their service dept, very nice people to deal with.
If you do a search in this forum, you'll find that this is a common occurrence (or pain in the a$$ that a $45k model should not have). You're not alone and Infiniti really can't do much other than fix it from a design stand-point in the newer models '10, '11 maybe?

At least the service dept is treating you well.

For the Infiniti design team that dropped the ball on this problem -->
Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea... Body flex... Annoying, but it's one of the many noises that comes with our G's...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had it since the first day i got the car.
dont really bother me that much.
i asked different technicians in different dealerships they told me its body flex due to that our car has such a short roof.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Most of the previous posters are correct. This is an issue that was transferred from the previous model for some people. My G35 was horrible about this, and I even got the sunroof assembly replaced by the dealer twice, which made the noise go away temporarily, but it always came back after a while.

My G37, however, has yet to make any noise, and I have a VERY inclined driveway to my garage. This driveway would make my G35's roof "pop" every time I went on it, specially while at an angle to make sure I did not scrub the bottom of my front bumper.

It's a shame the problem has transferred to a few of the new cars, as I would be very upset if I ended up with similar problems on the new car as the ones I had with the other coupe. I can say, however, that I'm very happy (knock on wood) that the new one does not have this problem.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Gday
Banned

I remember reading a thread on g35driver, where some guy performed a "Mickey Mouse" fix, and it involved paper towels. haha. Kinda like how some girls stuff their bra with toilet paper.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by Gday
I remember reading a thread on g35driver, where some guy performed a "Mickey Mouse" fix, and it involved paper towels. haha. Kinda like how some girls stuff their bra with toilet paper.
Ghettolicious...imagine you out on a date, and the girl tries to open the sunroof and a piece of paper towel falls on her...that serves well for embarrassment
Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
The1andOnly

I've only satrted hearng mine a few eeks ago only after I stiffened up my coils.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Igor911

wow...didn't know this problem was this popular with our coupes.

Funny thing is, my 05 G35 never had this problem!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
chris9012

yup yup happens to me wen i go up my driveway really really slow which is everytime and it sounds strange
Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
volnedan

holy sh-t, this is the exact reason why i logged on today. it seemed kind of strange that this kind of body flex could cause such a loud squeak, but i guess i'm not the only one.

honestly, this is something that is embarassing to me for a $40k plus vehicle. My 04 and 06 had rattles, but nothing like this. Is there anything Infiniti can do for this? My car is 10 months old with 15k miles, and it just started happening a few weeks ago.

Now that summer is winding down i have to drive with my windows up more often, so it is very noticable. Goddam i love my car but this is pushing the limits of little annoyances...
Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by volnedan
holy sh-t, this is the exact reason why i logged on today. it seemed kind of strange that this kind of body flex could cause such a loud squeak, but i guess i'm not the only one.

honestly, this is something that is embarassing to me for a $40k plus vehicle. My 04 and 06 had rattles, but nothing like this. Is there anything Infiniti can do for this? My car is 10 months old with 15k miles, and it just started happening a few weeks ago.

Now that summer is winding down i have to drive with my windows up more often, so it is very noticable. Goddam i love my car but this is pushing the limits of little annoyances...
I've yet to hear anyone say that they've found a work-around for this issue. Infiniti dropped the ball on this one. It's a design error/defect that has not been corrected. Most of the G's have it or will have it soon enough. The real fix will have to come from a redesign or a lower level type of work-around from Infiniti (2010 or 2011 models). If we're lucky, a TSB will be reported that can fix this issue but don't hold your breath. Noises are annoyances that come with most vehicles regardless of make but this one is a specific point/area of the G's that should be corrected somehow by Infiniti.

The fact that we can easily reproduce this problem by merely pressing in the drivers overhead area should serve as a red flag to Infiniti to correct this SPECIFIC noise problem.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Jkg37

i had exact same problem and i went 5different dealer for it.. but they all said nothing wrong with it infiniti made g37 like that from factory..... but when i took it to tustin dealer... they fixed it in 1 min.. it was wax left over in the sun roof area... they used 3m*** not sure what it was but brand was 3m and he used that to clean the area

Quick Reply: Squeak or Tension on the Roof Area