Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

klonking noise on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
FiremanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klonking noise on start up.

every time i drive for 30 min or more after i shut off the car and start it back up agian (not right away)... i hear a klonking noise almost like it's running out of gas and then the car starts up and drives normal. it only happens after i've parked it for a couple min then start it, but if i let it sit for like 10 min or during cold starts it doesn't have the problem.

it's been to the dealer twice, they said the easter oil would fix it but it didn't and brought it back on monday and got it back today and it made the same noise when i got back from work. i'm to the point where i'm going to drive it through the show room window.

Any idea's on what it could be, they said it was the VVEL and it was fixed but apperently it wasn't.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My initial thought was VVEL as well... Maybe they didn't fix it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
video files added

Hey, I had the same problem... and my engine is un-mod. It will ALWAYS happens if you shut the engine off and let it cool down, not cold but when the temp gauge is showing less than '1/4' warm.

here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5AY2snaBs

After a drive with the hot engine let it sit and cool down until the temp. gauge barely goes past the first tick mark, i.e. pointing at about 7 o'clock position(clockwise). That is when my engine made the noise everytime (and I suspect for other people also), too hot or cold start and it won't make the noise.

The noise is a very loud metallic 'crack'; almost sound like something an old engine would make or an engine that is out of timing, I have the sound attachment in zip files futher down from this post. The problem will be even more apparent if you live in cold weather (freezing tempt), it will happens soon enough like after shutting the engine off to fill up with gas and starting it again.

cuong.

normal=normal
noise=cracking noise at start-up
Attached Files
File Type: zip
normal.zip (80.2 KB, 127 views)
noise.zip (74.0 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by anh3; 05-21-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fireman and ANH, When were your cars made?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:09 PM
RIDEwithG

I get this problem too. Usually after I drive it for 10-15 minutes, park and then I get the "clonk-clonk-clonk" sound, like the engine is on it's last legs. Of course I haven't had any performance issues. It still runs smoothly, it's more of an "annoyance" than anything else.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
FiremanJ

i believe the sticker on the door said 4-2008, but i'm not 100% sure and it's too cold and late to check
Old 12-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Heat

I wonder if it has something to do with that batch of cars. I figured since mine was made in the first batch of cars that I would have more problems but I havent. The only thing I had under repaired under warranty was that muffler weld that came lose. No biggie.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you guys get this on video?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
FiremanJ

i'll try but it wont happen untill next week when the snow melts... stock sport tires and snow = spin... thank god for the winter beater.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RIDEwithG
I get this problem too. Usually after I drive it for 10-15 minutes, park and then I get the "clonk-clonk-clonk" sound, like the engine is on it's last legs. Of course I haven't had any performance issues. It still runs smoothly, it's more of an "annoyance" than anything else.
Is the RPM falling below normal idle speed when this happens?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 PM
anh3

update with video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5AY2snaBs

the noise happens the moment the warm engine is turn when you push the ignition and it goes away, you can't miss the noise even if the hood is close. it is definitely some kind of metal to metal contact noise, I am hoping for it to be the starter - as it ONLY happens right when the engine is starting up, but the noise sound very much like it to be a valve problem (timing). the noise was there before and even after I did the ITB with ECM reprog. and Ester oil change. Maybe I am too worry but my personal opinion is any metal to metal noise/deficiency is... not good, especially involving the engine or its peripheral parts.

again, if you want to investigate whether you have the noise do the following: after you drive your car (normal operating tempt), turn the engine off and let sit for about 10-15 minutes (depending on the outside temp, couple hours if above 60 degrees) or until the temp gauge is less than half way between normal operating temp and cold, the needle showing an almost cold engine. If you have that problem, you will definitely hears it.

I took mind to the dealership, and I turned my engine several times for them to confirm it, the noise comes up EVERY time I turn the engine.

Last edited by anh3; 05-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by anh3
I took mind to the dealership, and I turned my engine several times for them to confirm it, the noise comes up EVERY time I turn the engine.
Even when the engine is cold? FiremanJ says his only happens when the engine is warm.

FWIW, there have been a number of reports of the dealer having to reflash the software. Most dealers do not read the software version after flashing to verify they did the flash correctly. So, some have reported they have had to go back and have the flash done again. I suppose it is possible the flash did not take and your car needs to be reflashed. If the dealer, and I know it's an hour trip for you, reads your software version and you don't have the latest version, then they need to reflash your car.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM
anh3

Originally Posted by notalk
Even when the engine is cold? FiremanJ says his only happens when the engine is warm.

FWIW, there have been a number of reports of the dealer having to reflash the software. Most dealers do not read the software version after flashing to verify they did the flash correctly. So, some have reported they have had to go back and have the flash done again. I suppose it is possible the flash did not take and your car needs to be reflashed. If the dealer, and I know it's an hour trip for you, reads your software version and you don't have the latest version, then they need to reflash your car.
No I never said when its cold, only when engine is warm, but also not when hot. I have had my ECM reprogrammed and ITB done on the ESter oil.
This is a new problem for them, they could not figure out why, they're contacting their tech-line for further instruction. In the meantime those of us who had the problem are driving a new car with a new problem and unknown solution...

Last edited by anh3; 01-05-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
anh3

sound clip of noise

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Can you guys get this on video?
alright, here they are, one is normal startup and the other one you can hear the distinctive crack, in zip files (mp3 when unzip). the noise can be heard masking the sound of exhaust growl when the engine starts. And I didn't start and shut the engine fast like that, I have to cut and edit to fit the 100kB requirement. But it will happen any time I start the engine within that temp range. When I brought it to the dealer last week, I turned the engine 5 or 6 times for the service manager and a tech to confirm it; the noise comes up every time.
Attached Files
noise.zip (74.0 KB, 148 views)
normal.zip (80.2 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by anh3; 12-22-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
keep us updated

Quick Reply: klonking noise on start up.