Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help HELP!!! removed TPMS and now this

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP!!! removed TPMS and now this

I just got my blizzacks installed on my stock sport wheels. I removed the TPMS to save them for my winter wheels.

I drive a mile and all my warning lights come on.

Lights that come on:
Slip
VDC
Brake
and one other I forget.

Lights that did NOT come on were the check engine and the TPMS warning light (this is the light I was expecting though)

I tried to reset the ECU and it comes on again after a mile of driving.

I called several dealers and a couple mechanic buddies and they said that these lights have nothing to do with TPMS. They are all related to the brakes and that maybe one of the ABS sensors got damaged while putting the wheels on.

I am going back to the store tomorrow to have them check it out. I do not want to go to the dealer as I know they will not cover this under warranty.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
beerme986

Just for ****s and giggles, I checked the tire sizes to make sure they were right. guess what! nope!

I told them OEM specs and gave them the stock tires numbers.

The put on lm-60 245/45 in the back and 225/40 in the front. WTFFFFFF way to go pep boys
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think because the sensors are not present its creating other issues. You need to put them back in IMO. Now for the tire f***-up... go back to PepBoys and take a bat to them!..

Well don't do that j/k but raise some hell they should not only correct it but discount you at least.

I always have asked to see the actual mechanic who works on my car beforehand to profile him. If he doesn't speak English(issue in Miami) well and doesn't seem to know much I will take my car somewhere else.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NEVER LET PEP BOYS WORK ON YOUR CAR! I have a friend who use to work at one. He said the workers don't care. They just want to get the job done and get paid. He did that as well. they drop wrenches and stuff on people car and never said anything. They even take the undercover we have under our cars and throw them away cause they don't want to put it back on.

I usually find one great mechanic and only he gets to touch my car. Good thing I have a uncle who owns a shop so I put on my own tires.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Loi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to my car too when I installed a set of afterwheels with tpms, but when I took at four off and put them back on again, all the lights went away, and ONLY the pressure sensor light came on.

Try it.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by jnguyen
NEVER LET PEP BOYS WORK ON YOUR CAR! I have a friend who use to work at one. He said the workers don't care. They just want to get the job done and get paid. He did that as well. they drop wrenches and stuff on people car and never said anything. They even take the undercover we have under our cars and throw them away cause they don't want to put it back on.

I usually find one great mechanic and only he gets to touch my car. Good thing I have a uncle who owns a shop so I put on my own tires.
I'd wager that a majority of the large chains such as pepboys have employees who don't give a ****. IMO if you can't see your car being worked on, don't have work done there, the dealership MIGHT be the closest to the exception.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah the Dealership is my exception until a well known local Nissan/GTR mechanic opens his shop soon. My Dealership may be expensive but they do the job right with total respect for my ride. I would never take it to PepBoys or any run of the mill garage!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Yup seems a bit off. Another example of how tire diameter can cause great issues with VDC and other systems if not correct.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Loi

Originally Posted by beerme986
Just for ****s and giggles, I checked the tire sizes to make sure they were right. guess what! nope!

I told them OEM specs and gave them the stock tires numbers.

The put on lm-60 245/45 in the back and 225/40 in the front. WTFFFFFF way to go pep boys

So did you replace them with the right sizes? or you're stuck with 245/45 and225/40? the fronts are too thin and the rears are too thick, lol
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
beerme986

I called and spoke to the manager today and he seemed baffled about what happened. Apparently what happened was that the warehouse they ordered from gets it from tirerack and they were out of stock on our tire sizes. So they assumed that these tires would fit and not cause problems. WRONG!

I called a few of my mechanic friends last night and they said all of the traction control and brake lights would come on because the wheel sensor and abs sensor are reading the wrong tires. The back tires since they are bigger (245/45 instead of 245.40) are rotating slower, and the fronts that are smaller are going faster (225/40 instead of 225/45) Must raise hell for the computer.

Anyway I went back today and after 3 hours!!!!!! my tires were swapped back with TPMS put back in. Not without incident though. They lost a TPMS valve cap; the cool ones that say n02 and scratched up a wheel.

Did anyone take blame for ANY damages or the wrong tire situation nope?

NOPE, manager said mistakes happen.

Lessons:

1. DON'T GO TO PEP BOYS. I got lured in because of buy 4 get 1 tire free deal w/ a price match.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
beerme986

And of course I did get all my money back. But there was no compensation offered for this stupid mistake. Not that I would ever go back for any free service anyway.