Review Racing brakes, Hotchkis Sways and GTC-01 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
YetiTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racing brakes, Hotchkis Sways and GTC-01 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Dear Fellows,

I have been an avid reader for a year now and I had the luxury to ask questions and have great and useful answers in return. I figured out I would return the favor.

I recently installed:
- Racing Brakes 2 pieces rotors Front & Rear with ET500 brake pads
- Hochkis Sways Front and Rear
- Enkei GTC-01 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/19/40

and coming soon

- Forge Performance SS lines with Motul DOT4 brake liquid

As some of you might have noticed on my few posts, I'm a big fan of reducing unsprung weight(UW) in order to enhance both performance and comfort. While I love moar power, I prefer to focus on UW first since it helps all variables: accelration, braking, handling and comfort. My next step is to go with a Fujitsubo exhaust and exhaust depot Y pipe to get a good clean 10-15whp and 15 or so wtq. This will be my own IPL G37xS coupe!

I am pleased to announce that my project so far have been successful, to a point of disbelief. So let's get started:

RB 2 pieces rotors and ET500 brake pads: Uhmmm...I had them for a week and I LOVE them, braking is better and the UW reduction make the ride smoother, much smoother. Craftmanship is all around superb, well packaged, great staff, I dive 5 stars for RB for their products. G37xS coupe buyers beware though, the S brake lines come equipped for the front with banjo application WHICH our cars does not use, hence my try with Forge Performance. Anyway, RB gets 5 stars for high end material and tech, very beautiful product and improved all parameters of braking, comfort and acceleration.

Hotchkis Sways: Wow, the car is so much tighter now. I left it at the softest setting in the front to stiffen the car a bit but not too much. I am not looking to drift on the highway so I feel it is perfect now. Installation went like a breeze and my Infiniti mecanics really like how the car handled afterwards, so 5 stars here too.

Be aware, the Hotchkis sways and RB brakes made the steering much lighter, light like my TL. I can't explain why but it all went back to normal and much better with the new tires so caveat emptor.

Enkei GTC-01 and Michelin Pilot Super Sport: Simply said, get this tire, well 4 of those. I had Hankook on my TL but this is in another league altogether. Smooth but laser focused, precise and really a perfect fitting tire for such a nice car as the G. With the Enkei GTC-01, I saved 4 lbs of UW per corner as well. I went with 245/40 to increased handling and reduce understeer (front tires) since I went from 225/19/45 to 245/19/40. Diameter changed by a smidgen (0,3% IIRC) so no worries.

So far, I saved 12 lbs per corner front and around 8 per corner in the rear. The steering is lighter than stock but like 8.5/10 of what the stock steering is so it still has a very nice weight. The feel is fantastic, precise yet with a good heft, communicative yet very comfortable. The G coupe feels like a relaxed panther (my car is black/black so it fits perfectly): much more responsive than stock, powerful yet agile with lightning reflexes, controlled body roll and braking able to alter the earth rotation, a steering that talk to you while having a suspension that tells you exactly what's going on without shaking you. It is really that good imho and the stock car isn't too bad either so I think I did great choices all around!

All it took was some ours of research and lots of reading but right now, if you tell me I would ride this car for a long time, all I would reply is a nice smile and a bring it on!

For those on the fence, if you can spare the expense, they are really great mods for the car. Of course an exhaust is cool and it is fun to see on the dyno but there is nothing like attacking the winding back roads in the early morning like a relaxed yet ever-vigilent panther...

There you go, I hoped you enjoy reading those reviews!

My 2 cents,
-YetiTL
Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Conn

Been wanting to see the GTC-01 on the coupe. Any pics by chance?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by Conn
Been wanting to see the GTC-01 on the coupe. Any pics by chance?

Here you go:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Conn

Thanks a lot. Awesome review
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great review man! Hotchkis sways are my next purchase
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nice....do you have the link for Racing breaks' website?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Nice review. Can't wait to put on my racing brakes. So you are running 245 40 19 all around?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by Skyline37
nice....do you have the link for Racing breaks' website?
Here you go: Thread about the 2 pieces rotors:

Infiniti G37S Rear two-piece rotor - RacingBrake Forums

I know hadling mods are pricey compared to exhaust, intake and tune but it really make the ride MORE sporty AND MORE luxurious. The bumps are half what they were before and the whole car doesn't vibrate at each impact, just a relaxed drive with a focused and to the point steering feel.

Brakes are real nice and RB 2 pieces rotors are high quality parts from what I can feel & experience.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by Presto
Nice review. Can't wait to put on my racing brakes. So you are running 245 40 19 all around?
Yes as the AWD came with 225/19/45. I went to 245/19/40 to keep the same overall size. Fits the car nicely and the rims/wheels look more substantial than with 225.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
There you go, I hoped you enjoy reading those reviews!
Nice review. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. I started out with the same route as you. That is, going LW where possible. I had 19lb 19" wheels all around and recently went back to lightweight 18s with a bit more centralized distribution of weight on the wheel. That made quite a noticeable difference. FWIW.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by soundmike
Nice review. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. I started out with the same route as you. That is, going LW where possible. I had 19lb 19" wheels all around and recently went back to lightweight 18s with a bit more centralized distribution of weight on the wheel. That made quite a noticeable difference. FWIW.
Good to know. However, I have the sport package which means the BBK and the GTC-01 were flush, like 3mm flush so 18' would be a no-no for me I guess.

But yeah, on the TL I got 18 inches wheels at 18 lbs each (from 27 lbs) the difference was huge!

LW FTW!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
The 38mm x9.5" Enkei RP03's fit, that's what i have. For the next set of tires, i might go with Conti DW, they're at least 4 more lbs lighter than the V12's
Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
nice! i used to own a tl too! i miss that pos lol i'm glad you like the hotchkis sways; i'm looking for a set as well!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So the hotchkis lightened the steering further? I don't like how light the G's steering is, and this will make it lighter than it already is? Shoot...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by bingpwr
So the hotchkis lightened the steering further? I don't like how light the G's steering is, and this will make it lighter than it already is? Shoot...
Well, I change the brake rotors and pads + the sways at the same time so I am unsure of the effect of each. Curiously enough, when I strapped the new lighter rims and the Michelin tires, sterring feel comes back up but with much more focus and precision thanks to the tires...Soooo I'm quite confused about this issue! lol

Quick Reply: Review Racing brakes, Hotchkis Sways and GTC-01 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports