Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Front license plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
omfG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front license plate questions

Who here does not display a front license plate in a state where it is illegal to not do so like my beloved california? I really don't like the idea of drilling holes into the front bumper, so right now I have the license plate on my dash. I don't really care about fix-it tickets and what not, but what I'm scared of is going out and having a few drinks only to get pulled over for not displaying a front license plate and ending up with a DUI.

Are there any options besides the frankly overpriced $70 Stillen front license plate bracket?
Anybody have experience getting pulled over for not displaying a front license plate and would like to share their story?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 PM
aznutx

well i live in tx also illegal, and as far as a few drinks and getting a dui

if u happen to get a dui it means u shouldnt been driving.. so dont do that pls.. foreveryone's sake, kk moral of the day done

um stillens is wut i use works well looks good, and there are alternatives like u can make one urself like someone did. cant remember but u can /search for it here.

i gotten pulle dover 3+ times for not having it, always say that im working on it and they mostly give warnings but like u said, it's an excuse to get pulled over. so i put the stillens on for long trips/ out of town kinda dealies, otherwise it's off
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem with having your plate in the front window is it becomes a pretty leathal flying object in even minor accidents or hard turns. Typically they don't just pull you over for no front plate, its usually tacked on to other offenses. But it is an excuse for any cop to pull you over at will, especially at night.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
omfG37

I'm definitely not advocating drinking and driving. Obviously if I was completely wasted I wouldn't be doing any driving. But if I go out to dinner and have a beer or two, I'm perfectly capable of getting home.

Should i just suck it up and drop 70 bucks on the stillen kit?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
jab23

I drove my G35 for 2 years here in MA without the plate displayed at all. Just kept it in my trunk. Never had an issue except a guy called me out during inspection. Just told him it was in the trunk and I had an appt. to get it put on. Passed inspection.

Holes were already drilled on my G37, so I have the palte on. It's really not that big of a deal imho. You forget about after a while.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i don't have a front license plate, don't get one, makes car look bad imo, but up to you i'm willing to risk getting a ticket... and i haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood)
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Aerohead

Same situation. Was afraid of getting pulled over after one beer for not having a front plate. Solution: a licence plate bracket for under 5 bucks that does not require drilling and plate can be removed within 30 seconds. Used 3" molly screw system thru the bottom grill and painted it black. The remaining 10-24 bolt studs are almost invisible when the plate is removed. Looks better IMO being lower on the bumper.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
http://www.infinitiplate.com

I don't have one of these but they look great. I have no plate and haven't for the last 4 years in TX. It's about a $100 fine here in TX and I've never been stopped for it. When I have been stopped for something, they've never made an issue of no front plate. But I likve in TX not CA.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
omfG37

The infinitiplate does look cool. Too bad it's not available for the g37 yet.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
omfG37,
You’re absolutely right about not taking a chance of being pulled over when it is not in your interest to do so. I’ve suggested before that smart drivers do not draw such attention to themselves this way. However, please note that the 15% tint you say you have in your signature is also illegal in California unless it’s just on the back windows.

Having said that, I must mention again that there are reasons for these front plate laws. It’s to expand law enforcement’s ability to identify cars coming in the opposite direction, giving them a view of plates in cars coming head on from perhaps escaping bank robbers, kidnapers and even car thieves. I know our cars look better without front plates, but there comes a time when we should stand up as good citizens and support the effort.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
omfG37

Hey Chekov,

I just don't want a DUI or a $100 fix it ticket. I'm pretty sure if a kidnapper or bank robber is going to do their dastardly deed then they will take off their plates anyway, unless they want to get caught. Here in Los Angeles the main reason for having a front license plate is so you can get a ticket at an intersection that has a camera aka westwood and wilshire or sepulveda and wilshire. I'm too cynical to believe the "be a good citizen" argument, I'd rather keep my car (and my record) nice and clean.

The windows always come down when I see a police car, I'd assume that 99% of the people in this forum have illegal tints and do the same thing. The other 1% are probably getting their tints soon ^_^. Unfortunately I can't push a button and make my license plate appear, although that would be pretty cool. Get on it nismo!!

And one last point: if the reason for a front license plate is to catch kidnappers and bank robbers (lol) it would be required nationally, not just in all the cool states like cali (>_>)

Last edited by omfG37; 10-02-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
omfG37,
If you can show us how you lower your rear side and back windows in your G37 then pass it on to all those 99% on this forum (that I don’t believe is the case) you say have illegal tints. In other words, you may want to consider a lighter tint, even a -gasp- legal one. I know, you think the cops don’t care. I could give you the safety argument for the back window, but I bet you don’t care about that either. You’ll not be happy when the first indication of hitting something while backing up at night is a crunching sound.

As far as crooks not having their plates on, if all the rest of us did, and I know we’re not there yet, then we could spot them for simply that reason alone. I did see an episode on cops recently where some liquor store thieves pulled up after hours with a front plate and the store’s surveillance camera caught it and they were nabbed soon after.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
The1andOnly

I'm sure Stillen will come out with one soon like they did for the G35. I had one on my G35, except I had JDM plate on it. LOL.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
dhhG37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bit the bullet and put on the overpriced stillen mount. Its off center which I think makes it look kind of cool. and if I want I can easily take it off. not worth $70 but cheaper than a fixit ticket!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
omfG37

Next time I'm backing up, I'll be sure to stare at whatever object is directly behind me via the camera and slam into it as hard as I can. . But in all seriousness, thank god for that nifty backup camera in the navi package . -1

Quick Reply: Front license plate questions